Creative Quilling Forum

Do I really need a quilling tool?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do I really need a quilling tool?

Post by Quippen on 2012-06-06, 23:34

Since I'm new to quilling, I have been using a small plastic rod (the size of the plastic inside a ballpoint pen). While it does work, I find it hard to start the rolls, or keep it tight. I have heard however that quilling tools leave the bent paper on the inside of the coil.
What is the better method? Is a quilling tool necessary? Thank you so much!

Quippen

Back to top Go down

Re: Do I really need a quilling tool?

Post by Quill Me on 2012-06-07, 02:33

Quippen,
many quillers use their fingers only for quilling. I myself, prefer a needle tool as it only make a small hole in the centre.
Some people prefer a slotted tool.
So it is really up to you as to what you feel comfortable with.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KrazeeLdy on 2012-06-07, 03:46

Welcome Quippen.... Wink
I use the "ultra thin slotted tool", I bought it on ebay.
It leaves a little hole with a tiny bend. A lot of people just use the needle tool, like Bronwyn. But I've heard a lot of people use a toothpick..? I think that would leave a big hole too.
And as Bronwyn said...you have to experiment and find something that you feel comfortable with. Very Happy Good Luck! Very Happy

KrazeeLdy

Back to top Go down

Post by toye on 2012-06-07, 18:26

This little trick that I found out about the bend on the side of the coil, before you start to roll the paper to whatever you may find best to use. I take my thumb and finger and scratch the paper a little to make it softer and tear just a very little do not ever cut the paper even the ends is better to tear just a little of, this will not give you a bend in your coil, also when I use the split tool I fold over the paper just a very little so when you do a loos coils it looks neater, I have done a small sample so you can see the difference. By tearing the paper when cluing you will find that blends in very well and you hardly see the join. Good luck and they all say use whatever makes you comfortable with your Quilling. Very Happy
the top coil is where I folded the paper before rolling the other is not been folded
toye

http://www.paperart-sheila.ch

Back to top Go down

Post by toye on 2012-06-08, 08:37

I just remembered, for the ladies that like to do Quilling without to bigger holes. When I first started out doing Quilling round 16 years ago, tools were in our little Country not available. So I put my thinking cap on. I came up with the idea by taking a thin sewing needle with a long eye, and a cork. Then cut off the top of the eye of the needle, and then push the needle as far as you can into the cork, it has to go in far enough so when you are using it does not bend whilst rolling your paper strip. I still use this now and then you can hardly see the hole in the middle. Yes corks have been very handy for me, I made a mini mould with three different sizes of pins with ball tops.
wishing everyone a great weekend, yesterday we had a storm that all heavens opened up with hailstones as big as gobstoppers wooow that was a sight to watch
crack up
toye

http://www.paperart-sheila.ch

Back to top Go down

Post by Quippen on 2012-06-09, 01:35

Thank you so much everyone! I might make my own with a cork and needle because it looks so thin and I really want to practice before the real paper gets in;waiting for my quilling paper and quilling tool my boyfriend bought for me on Amazon. I can't wait! I find it amazing that people can roll with a simple needle and get it nice and tight. True artistry! Very Happy

Quippen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top