Creative Quilling Forum

Quilling a Topiary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quilling a Topiary

Post by admin on 2010-02-18, 06:37

Hi Everyone,
well I finally finished my topiary and wanted to share the pattern
You will need:
1x round polystyrene foam ball (or you can carve one from green flower foam as I have)
1x piece of dowel approx 30cm long ( or cut off hubby's broom in the shed shhh)
1x flower pot with extra flower foam to hold the dowel in place
1x ribbon of your choice
1x piece of complimentary paper for around the dowel or you can use ribbon if you prefer

You will need flowers:
35x white roses (22cm strips 10mm)
50x lavender roses (22cm strips 10mm)
35x Graduated roses (I used 22cm long 10mm pink)
25x Fringed purple flowers (22cm of purple 10mm graduated plus 10cm lengths of 3mm purple for your center)
25x double fringed flowers (I have used patterned scrap booking paper 3cm wide folded in half by 15cm long with a 10cm long 3mm dark purple center) These flowers I have cut some on a 45 degree and some on a 90 degree angle. I found though after I finished the best ones I made were on a 90 degree angle with narrow margins. Have a play and see which you like best. Check the post to fringe or not to fringe for directions of making this flower
6x metallic blue folded into 3 loops for a ribbon effect
6x white metallic folded into 3 loops for a ribbon effect

While making the flowers I used normal pvc but I used tacky glue for adhering to the ball as it gave extra strength.
Firstly place the dowel in your foam ball with tacky glue. Next put the complimenting paper around the dowel or ribbon and affix with glue. Turn your ball upside down and start gluing your flowers into your ball with tacky glue, arranging your flowers symmetrically starting from the dowel and working your way out. Once you have reached the half way mark and the glue has dried, turn your ball up the other way and place it in the foam inside your pot for stability. Now you can continue to glue the flowers to the rest of your ball. Try to keep your flowers close in together to stop the colour of the ball showing through. Once you have finished gluing your flowers you can do a couple of ribbons the highlight your topiary. You may find depending on the size ball you have, you may require more or less flowers. I carved my ball from flower foam as I was unable to obtain a round foam ball at the time. This was an interesting experience I don't plan to repeat because I later found I could get 2 balls for a little over $2 and the cheap shop and saved myself an afternoon of green mess.
You can also put some polished stones or the like on the foam inside the pot to make it more appealing. This would make a great gift for a lady and also makes a great center piece.
Happy quilling

Karon flower
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Quilling a Topiary

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-02-19, 06:46

Looks great, very classy. WIll make one when I have a dining room to put the table in.
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by karenfern on 2010-03-07, 01:50

oh, it's just beautiful. I've never done any larger quilling. I've done only miniature. I'll have to get a pic of my mini topiary.....thank you so much for this site. I love it. I love you
karenfern

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-03-07, 05:08

That would be wonderful to see your miniatures, I saw some miniature foam balls in the cheap shop (gone bonkers) and thought to myself that they would look fabulous as smaller topiaries, make terrific gifts and take only an afternoon to accomplish. I would also love to see anyone who has used different flowers. I saw a daisy one and sunflower one on a fresh flower topiary and they were fantastic. I would like to make some sunflowers with my new curved scissors when they arrived. I used cuticle scissors but they just were a tad too small so I and having some made slightly larger and will try a miniature sunflower when they get here. Those scissors make the best sunflower petals!!
Karon flower
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Absolutely fabulous

Post by pearlygirl on 2010-07-30, 23:35

I just love this topiary tree. Im just a beginner but hope to go onto making things like this eventually. It would look great on my dining table.Pearlygirl

pearlygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-31, 06:33

You are more than welcome. Actually they are quite basic to make, they are just flowers stuck on a ball really. You just need to make sure you co-ordinate your colours then stick them all on. You can also make baby ones with some dowel and smaller foam balls from your nearest cheap shop. The big ones just take a long time but the small one you can knock off in an afternoon
kind regards
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec on 2010-10-07, 11:39

This could also be adapted to make a christmas tree. If you used the rod covered in paper, you could then glue different sized tear drops (starting small at the top and getting larger) onto the paper to make the leaves on the tree. Then just quill some decorations and add them. Ta-da! instant christmas centre piece. Smile

Bec

http://dq-veiwingoftheworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-11-17, 14:19

I saw a really nice topiary pattern with a difference. Some idea with the ball and dowel just the flowers were coordinated differently. She had used lots of dark green fringed on a 45degree angle then placed the odd white fringed flower 90 degree cut here and there. Another was all in gold 45 degree fringed for an autumn look then another in the green 45 degree covered in red tight coils to look like berries. Looked excellent as all the green cut on the angle made it look really bushy and natural.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofadancer on 2011-01-16, 20:42

New to quilling and looking for something easy to do with my 9 year old daughter. I think she will really enjoy this.

heartofadancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Karon on 2011-01-19, 23:00

The flowers are very easy however there is a lot of them. If you start with a smaller one she may not get so frustrated and perhaps cover it in multi coloured fringed flowers. I was doing some classes at a retirement village and they rounded up a heap of pots from a second hand store and used the smaller balls. They also did some drops from the bases with some strips (look nice with spirals I would say) with some flowers attached on the ends of them. They all looked fabulous and took no where near as long to complete
Karon
Karon

Back to top Go down

Post by teddiegrams on 2011-05-01, 07:32

Karon,

Had me giggling, thinking about you cutting up your hubbie's broom.

This is just beautiful, and I liked the quilling on the pot as well.

Thank you,
Teddie

teddiegrams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top