Creative Quilling Forum

Quilling "Injuries"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quilling "Injuries"

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-03-09, 05:41

Ever get "injured" by quilling? Well, I mean like, this is more uncomfortable then an injury, but, hands cramping. If I'm rolling and rolling 5 strips at once...my hand can cramp up! And....listen to this story.

I was rolling a HUGE coil, 5 strips long, and other long coils one day a few weeks ago. I found out later that I had, like, mini paper cuts accross my left index finger Shocked! This would obviously be from me quilling the way I was, and constantly pushing the strip back! My mom called it a "sport's injury" because I don't do sports, so this is my sport. So, now I'm putting on medical tape on that finger when I quill huge coils like that, not a band aid, because that would waste them. So, I could just take off the tape instantly. That's my interestingly odd story!
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Quilling "Injuries"

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-03-10, 00:54

Sorry, but can't say i even get that! I only get 15-30minutes while my baby's asleep to do anything! I don't think I have done it long enough to hurt myself. Although, the other day I managed to tip craft glue all over my hand while I was refilling one of the smaller bottles. The stupid thing got a bubble in the neck of the bottle and the glue went over the bubble and poured all over me! Usually with craft glue I just roll my fingers over it and it collects together and rolls off, but I tried to do that and there was too much, I ended up drying really quickly and I almost had my hands glued shut! affraid I started to scratch it off and peel it before it dried completely and made sure I didn't close my fists in case I couldn't open them again. Water didn't help that much. It was a close call and I did have bits of glue stuck to my hands over the next day or two! So if anyone out there knows how to remove glue off your hands, I would love to know in case I have another accident.

Tammy tongue
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-03-10, 00:57

psychedaboutquilling wrote:Sorry, but can't say i even get that! I only get 15-30minutes while my baby's asleep to do anything! I don't think I have done it long enough to hurt myself. Although, the other day I managed to tip craft glue all over my hand while I was refilling one of the smaller bottles. The stupid thing got a bubble in the neck of the bottle and the glue went over the bubble and poured all over me! Usually with craft glue I just roll my fingers over it and it collects together and rolls off, but I tried to do that and there was too much, I ended up drying really quickly and I almost had my hands glued shut! affraid I started to scratch it off and peel it before it dried completely and made sure I didn't close my fists in case I couldn't open them again. Water didn't help that much. It was a close call and I did have bits of glue stuck to my hands over the next day or two! So if anyone out there knows how to remove glue off your hands, I would love to know in case I have another accident.

Tammy tongue

O.
M.
G.

THAT'S horrible! I have had a bit too much glue spilled on me before, but not THAT much! If it was too much just to peel off or brush off, I went to wash my hands ASAP. The littlest amount of glue can ruin a project if it's all over your hands!

Oh, and I have 2 pics in the gallery now Very Happy.
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-03-10, 00:59

Cool, will check it out!
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-03-11, 04:14

Hi all,
Well, no paper cuts here but i have stabbed myself with my quilling needle a few times, usually in the middle of something, reach into my tool box not looking what I am doing and "ouchies", I am a bit of a messy quiller so forget to put lids on things etc but I really need to just put a piece of foam over the end to save myself Shocked
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-03-11, 23:30

Gotta say that I have had an injury from quilling.......

It started when I purchased my beloved fringer.

I set myself up and started fringing, I ate and fringed, drank and fringed, slept and dreamt of fringing and then yep woke up the next morning with a blister on my finger for all that fringing!!!! Embarassed

I find that when I make lots of coils I end up with lots of paper cuts on the one finger.
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-03-12, 00:27

Havent gotten any injuries, does that mean I'm doing something wrong, or is it something right,LOL Rolling Eyes
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-03-12, 01:02

hooked on quilling wrote:
I find that when I make lots of coils I end up with lots of paper cuts on the one finger.

THANK you! Someone knows what I'm talkin about!
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-03-12, 06:16

I don't get paper cuts but I don't try to keep it perfect when I am coiling, I do it straight as I can then after I glue it and pull it off the quilling tool. I press down on the coil with the other end of the quilling tool (the flat side) and it all goes even and into shape!

Tammy What a Face
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-03-13, 04:48

Is the paper cuts like from rubbing your finger along the paper when you press the coil down? or before you use the strip? (what I mean by that is before you use the strip many quiller's often just run their fingers and thumb down the paper to loosen the fiber in the paper). I hate paper cuts they really sting and everything you touch after just gets annoying
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-03-13, 06:52

Admin wrote:Is the paper cuts like from rubbing your finger along the paper when you press the coil down? or before you use the strip? (what I mean by that is before you use the strip many quiller's often just run their fingers and thumb down the paper to loosen the fiber in the paper). I hate paper cuts they really sting and everything you touch after just gets annoying
Karon

I meant during rolling. MINE didn't hurt really, just sorta annoying.
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-03-13, 12:43

Okay. So there are two different ways of rolling your coils. Some hold the paper strip with some tension and let it slide between the fingers guiding it onto the roll and others place finger on the coil and thumb under it while twirling and press to add tension that way. I must say I have done both.... ahhhh hang on..... I remember one day when I was coiling when I first started and using the later method, I felt it start to irritate my finger and knew I would get a paper cut if I kept going. Okay I think I have worked it out. Well, perhaps it may not be what is happening to you but just what happened to me and maybe to others. Okay feeling seperation anxiety from my quilling tool, I am off to do some more on my project
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum