Creative Quilling Forum

I must be insane....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I must be insane....

Post by Julz on 2010-03-14, 12:07

Was informed while I was away looking after my daughter & family over the past 2 weeks, that she and her partner are getting married in November. Like a good "mother of the bride" I offered to help them out with some of the stuff for their wedding.....

Invitations
Thank you cards
Place cards
Candle Holders
Fans for the girls
Boutonieres for the guys (including the fathers)
Corsages for the mothers
Floral decorations at the wedding site (outdoors)
Table centrepieces - bridal table is 2 swans (1 black & 1 white)
Wedding cake toppers
.... all quilled

Bride's dress, bridesmaids' frocks, flower girl's frock, guys' waistcoats - all to be made by me and hand decorated - beads and fabric painting - oh! and there are 80 people on the guest list.

I have to be crazy!!! scratch Mad Rolling Eyes

And to make matters worse, their colour scheme is not the traditional white & black!!!! My son in law to be is a Ngarrindjeri (Aboriginal) man and they want to incorporate some traditional symbols into the decorations etc. so there will be red, black, yellow, cream and ochre colours everywhere and lots of little dots!!!!

I have to be insane - right!
Julz

Back to top Go down

Re: I must be insane....

Post by paulahogue on 2010-03-14, 16:44

WOW that is way to much for one person to do,how much time do you have to do all that?. YOu need help
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-03-14, 22:35

Exciting news, Julie.
But seriously can you take all that on? You must be a very special Mum to do all that for your daughter and her partner.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Julz on 2010-03-14, 23:57

Thanks for the comments girls. I probably am insane, but I do have plenty of time to do it - I can't do much else but sit all day long. I am restricted in what I can do around the house to almost nothing. I don't sleep upstairs anymore because getting up and down them is just too much effort and it hurts like the devil to have to go up and down them more than I need to. I am waiting (sometimes impatiently) for fusion surgery on my back and a double hip replacement. I have a thing called spondilitis of the Lumbar spine and the arthritis that comes with it has all but fused my hips into a permanent sitting position. Consequently I can't do much else but sit all day long. Doesn't help much having to contend with a 5 year old grandson 24/7, but he is quite helpful to me during the time that he is home before and after school. So while I am doing all this sitting around, I may as well be doing something useful - quilling, card making, the odd bit of sewing and other crafty things is how I spend my time these days. Can't work anymore, but at least the crafty things I do make me a little bit extra. I have a friend come in a couple of times a week who does the major part of the housework for me, which helps greatly, and my best friend that I share the house with is also very helpful with my grandson, despite running her own business and working lots of odd hours. If only my children were as thoughtful as my friends are. I don't know about being a special mum, I guess I must be - but I only "wedding" stuff for. Can't see my son ever getting married and apart from that, he wouldn't want me to anything for him anyway - it wouldn't be good enough for the girl friend. I mean really, she won't have his son in the house, so the chances of me making anything for any wedding he might have are less than zero. But thanks again for the kind thoughts.
Julz

Back to top Go down

Not insane!

Post by Jean on 2010-03-17, 14:27

Hi Julz,

The spine and hips are a problem with me, but nothing like the problems you are coping with. I spent 6 months in a wheelchair and you have to keep busy and be productive for your own mental health.

It will be great to see some of your creations. I have done wedding cards, place cards, invites, etc as well but have none to show. I also do wedding bouquets. My mum in-law taught me how to make them.

With lots of girls in the family and a number of re-marries, I have done about 12 so far. Though a lot of young folk seem to live together and not bother to get legal.

The thing with quilling for weddings, it is unique in creation which makes it special and when it is done by a loving family member it is even more special.

Good luck

Jean
Jean

http://www.carobana.com.au/quilling/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Julz on 2010-03-17, 23:14

Sounds like you know exactly what I feel like most days, Jean. Haven't got to the wheel chair yet, but at almost 52 and walking with one of those frames with the seat on it - my grandson calls it my granny trolley - I'm get there.

I will do the bouquet and the bridesmaids' flowers, the flower girl's and the mother of the bride (me obviously), the mother of the groom will have some too, and the boutoniere for the boys, and for my ex-husband who will give my daughter away - I will do some for his present wife too.

It is months away, but I have already started on the table centre pieces - two swans (origami) surrounded by native flowers in reds, yellows, creams & blacks. There is one black swan and one white one - representative of the kids ethnicity, and also because the swan is the totemic symbol of Anthony's clan affiliation.
Julz

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-03-17, 23:23

It sounds very pretty,love to see them when your done
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-03-17, 23:24

Sounds beautiful! Please don't forget to take some photos for us all to see! I am sure I can say for all of us that we are impatiently waiting in suspense here for the finished results!!! bounce

I am trying to imagine what the bouquets and corsages look like, are you quilling the bouquets too?

Tammy
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Julz on 2010-03-18, 00:01

Yes Tammy - they will be a combination of quilled and punched pieces and some will be die cut and embossed.
Julz

Back to top Go down

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-03-18, 05:01

WOW... they sound gorgeous already cheers

Can't wait!!!
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down