Creative Quilling Forum

Brisbane show - Ekka 5-14th of August 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brisbane show - Ekka 5-14th of August 2010

Post by admin on 2010-04-04, 05:06

Hi Everyone,
I have decided to get a post under way with regard to the ekka - Brisbane show. Reason being even though it is 4 months away, entries close for the Creative art and craft ~ quilling section on the 19th of May 4:30pm 2010. If you have a local show I encourage you to google or contact you council for more information as most shows will have a craft section to enter your quilled work. If you have that information please post it here or in the events calender for everyone, thanks in advance

This year itinerary notes:
CREATIVE ART and CRAFT
Applications to enter close Wednesday 19 May 2010 at 4.30pm
Entry Fees RNA Member $5.00 per entry
Non-Members $7.00 per entry
Classes 118 – 121 $5.00 per entry
(Handcraft Restricted)
Number of entries per class Decoupage - No more than 4 entries across all Decoupage classes
All other classes - No more than 2 entries by an exhibitor in any one class
No restriction on the number of classes entered
Delivery of Exhibits Wednesday 23 June & Thursday 24 June 2010 between 9.00am & 3.00pm
Judging Monday 5 July to Friday 9 July 2010
Collection of Exhibits Wednesday 18 August 2010 between 9.00am & 3.00pm ONLYschedule link here.Please note: LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
PRIZES AND PRIZE MONEY SUBJECT TO CHANGE
For an entry form you can click here
application forum link

The categories 2010 for quilling

QUILLING - OPEN
Exhibits must not exceed 30 cm x 40 cm - unframed. Box
frames accepted. Over sized exhibits will not be accepted.
CLASS 176 Any Quilled Card - No Glitter
First prize $25; Second $15; Third $10
CLASS 177 Any Quilled Wall Hanging - unframed, matt
accepted
CLASS 178 Any Other Quilled Item

QUILLING - NOVICE
For Exhibitors who have never won a FIRST PRIZE in any Quilling
Section.
Exhibits must not exceed 30cm x 40cm - unframed. Over sized
exhibits will not be accepted.
CLASS 179 Origami & Crafts of Japan - Any Quilled Item

I will update more information as it comes to light, but I am currently gathering information with regard to things to look for when making a piece to enter into a show. 2 very important points include:
1) Read the rules i.e. and example of this above is no glitter on cards
2) judges look for unique pieces so try not to use patterns but create your own pieces

More info to come but I hope this helps
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Brisbane show - Ekka 5-14th of August 2010

Post by paulahogue on 2010-04-04, 05:56

Is this all going on where you live?, if so good luck for those who enter,it would be great for someone in the group to win!!
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-04, 06:59

Hi Paula, yes it is but doesn't matter where you live in Australia you can enter and have your project shipped to and fro from the show. This one is a state show and there are several smaller ones in towns all around the country
There 6 states and 3 mainland territories in Australia.
States
1. Queensland
2. New South Wales
3. Victoria
4. South Australia
5. Western Australia
6. Tasmania
Territories
7. Australian Capital Territory
8. Northern Territory
9. Jervis Bay Territory (unknown to most)

All have their own shows. not sure who will enter as yet but I am sure they will do well
karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-04-04, 07:05

Will you be entering any?
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-04, 11:04

I am thinking about it but haven't never found the time in the past. As there is a few categories perhaps I could pop a card in or that lady I haven't quite finished. Don't know if it would be allowed with the print though, could ask.
From what I have heard these shows have a big following in the quilling area across the states so it would be nice to see how it goes not for the prize money (which is nominal to say the least $25 compared to $7 entry plus the effort to get there) but to see how it is judged and get some healthy criticism and points to work on to help me advance. I have 7 weeks to think about it and see if I can find the time
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-04-04, 14:59

It would be neat just to go and check it out just to see what it's all about. If you do enter the contest, the the lady in the window would be a good choice . Keep me updated on what you decide.
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-05, 00:07

Will do, do you have anything like that over there?. Perhaps if you google under the name of the town and what they call it (fair or show). You may find there is some thing for you too.
I found Illinois art Shows and craft Fairs which I think from what I can see is just all craft products but they may have something.
I also found this link County fair schedule so I don't know what you can find there and this one art and craft shows
let me know how you go
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-04-05, 19:08

I found one site that shows craft fair and shows, but you have to pay a membership to get all info.will still search, I 've been talking to hubby about finding consighnment shops to see if I can sell my work there, but I also feel I need to do better on my work before I do that. Going to still search for info.
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-06, 04:11

Another show craft area you may be able to enter your quilling is jewellery. They usually have a section for pieces which are not made using gold or silver. In the past I have entered earrings into a rural agricultural show and won prizes but my favourite was a second in the Sydney Royal Easter a few years ago. The Sydney Royal Easter is on at the moment and the quilling is really impressive.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-07, 15:59

That sounds fantastic, can you show us a pic of your pieces? You must tell us about your experiences of entering to the shows as it has been a topic for discussion of late
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-08, 06:08

Castle Hill Agricultural Show and, of course, the Sydney Royal Easter Show have quilling sections. You can mail your entries in. The applications for the Sydney Royal have to be received about 4 months before the show dates. I have not researched any other shows to find a quilling section but most of them have a jewelery section. St. Ives show in Sydney also have craft sections. Check out some of the other sections in the shows to see if quilling will qualify (most of them are on-line). I think Castle Hill Show has a Miscellaneous section, maybe other shows have something similar. Wall hangings will usually slot in somewhere.

Shows are also a great forum for children to display their work. They are the quillers of the future and once they have the basics their imagination can really take over.

I taught myself to quill and the book that first caught my eye, and the book I learned from, was Filigree Jewelery by Malinda Johnston. In the beginning, most of my entries were from this book. I entered pieces in the jewellery section at the Camden Agricultural Show and the Royal Easter. I received two firsts at Camden ($2.50 plus certificate each) and won a second at the Royal Easter ($50.00 gift voucher at Angus and Coote plus certificate). This was in the late 80s early 90s and quilling was not as well known at that time. I think I won prizes because of the novelty.

After my first win at Camden there were a few comments from the entrants who worked in metals that my work was not really 'jewellery'. The next year they changed the names of the classes and there was a new class 'Jewellery - any other medium'. So I was away.

That year I won with quilling and my very arty sister-in-law received a second with a gumnut earrings and pendant set.

Over the next few years we took out first and second between us until, one year, the local dentist won with a necklace made of human teeth threaded on dental floss. There was discussion on the teeth in the local paper and the dentist was quoted as saying he did it as a joke. I was a bit put off by his entry but entered again the next year. I received the second price but first prize was won by a mouse skeleton mounted as a pendant on a chain. I felt the contest no long had any integrity and have not entered that competition since.

As I said this was years ago and quilling is now taken really seriously and has really advanced so much. I always looked on entering these competitions as fun and am always amazed at the levels quilling reaches every year.

Entering competitions like this really makes you the harshest critic of your own work and so your quilling improves.

I hope some of this is helpful and sorry if this has turned into a short novel. I tend to over write. Sometimes I just can not stop.

Last edited by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-12, 07:54; edited 1 time in total

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-08, 14:05

No, no short novels here, we love as much information as we can all get! That is fantastic, perhaps you should try another show in the quilling section. I know that if you are interstate it doesn't matter. Exhibits are couriered in and returned in the same manner for the Brisbane show so it doesn't matter where you are these days but it is great to know there is another area for quilling pieces.
I can see exactly how you feel as every time I look at so called 'paintings' I think to myself that I could give my almost 3yr old paint and paper and enter it as mine and so long as it is weird, well....say no more. I think at times the art sector is a little like the emperors new clothes, no one game enough to say this is junk. The weirder the better and you are not in if you don't "understand it". Oh here i go on my soap box.
how was your craft week away anyways, what did you get done, anything exciting?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-08, 14:45

Thanks Karon, I am fully supportive of the craft competitions at local shows and have been a judge a few times for the quilling. That is the other side of competition and is not easy but interesting. You can usually only judge for two or three years in a row. While doing the judging you start to recognise the different styles of the entrants so changing judges after two or three years is a good decision.

My craft week with my friend is next week and a week after that I am off to Malaysia then on to China to visit my nephew who is teaching in Tianjin. Expect to be away about 6 weeks.

Thanks for this wonderful forum, it is really interesting and informative for me to look back over previous discussions. Lots of great tips and information.

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-08, 15:13

You are so welcome, it has been a tad quiet over the past week or so but I think from what others have said it has been everywhere. It has been wonderful to get your input for the shows as that is a bit out of my league and the lady I was getting some info has been incredibly busy. I think our members range in age from 11years to a lady in her late 70's. I know all the added extra features can be daunting for many but it is nice to post a picture where all can see it with posts along with the gallery. I can't wait to see some of your jewelery. I would love to know what you use to harden your jewelery. We were chatting about it some time ago with some suggestions from pva & water to spray on hardeners. What have you found the best
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-09, 15:34

Over the years I have tried a few products as a sealant for my quilling and prefer to use an acylic spray. The last one I used was from Plaid and while these products do add strength to the quilled piece it is more important that your pieces of jewellery are water resistant.

To spray the pieces I use a shoe box on its side and thread the worked pieces on 10 or 20 crochet thread (it is stronger that sewing cotton or quilting cotton) or thin beading wire or a very thin knitting needle. Just poke a hole through the sides of the box, thread the cotton or wire through and tape the ends on the outside of the box to hold them in place. Place the thread halfway in, more towards to back. I read that the theory is the spray comes out in a mist of droplets which bounce off the back and sides of he box and back onto your pieces. It seems to be correct and you definitly use less acrylic spray when you use a box and there is less mess. I always use the spray outside.

I also use this technique if I am using spray paint with small items. The larger the item the bigger box you need. I do at least 2 coats usually 3. Let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat. It is better to do two or three light coats of sealant (or 4 or 5 depending on the finish you want).

I always use a matte finish but that is my personal preference. I do not know if there is a difference in the strength of the finish between gloss and matte as I have never used gloss.

I read a great tip about 2 weeks ago which was to line the box with aluminium foil and you get a better coverage quicker. I think this will improve the coverage and you should use even less sealant. Hope this helps.

Jocelyn

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top