[ 2 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
40% 40% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 15

What do you do with your creations?

Post by admin on 2010-04-09, 00:24

Poll for today is what do you do with your creations? Is anyone as possessive as me with their work and hoard it away? and find it difficult to part with. I know one day we had to give a card to a friend. I went through my box of ready made cards just for occasions like that but after I did, hubby laughed at me as I had to go make another one cause I couldn't part with any
What's your experiences?
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you do with your creations?

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-04-09, 00:40

I think I do most of those things, I give them to people and sell them too, some things I keep.
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-04-09, 01:06

Wow Karon that is pretty possessive, I can imagine your hubby's face and him laughing. All my projects that I've made has been sold or is sitting in a box waiting to be sold. Still doing the search thing for craft fairs or shows and getting no where but thats ok I'll just keep searching tell I find it,So far it just says what town and when but not how to contact them, you have to sign up and pay for it,oh well. Theres acouple of consignment stores here in town that I'm going to check out.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-09, 06:24

yes, I know it's shocking but reason being is that I had a complete lack of appreciation before I made anything myself before and I am sure I had discarded things without much thought. Now I put so much time and effort into each thing I make I am petrified someone with just chuck it!
I am slowly getting better. I parted with a few cards, 2 framed poems and working up to some of the other bits I have hoarded. Good thing now is how much I treasure and appreciate what people have been doing
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-09, 15:59

I do not keep mch of my work. I had a box of cards ($4.00 each) on my desk at work and my collegues really appeciated them especially when they had forgotton a special event.

For Christmas presents at work I gave 10 or 12 cards (a mixture of "Happy Birthday", "Best Wishes" and some blank). I also slip in some gift tags. The first year I gave them out only one of my collegues told me how much she appreciated them and could she have them the next year. I gave them to her the next year and most of the others then said they were expecting cards from me also. Problem solved, I am able to do all the quilling I want and they all get cards as a present.

I love doing wall hangings and usually give them as presents to my friends. I also decorate CDs (using 1.5mm width strips) and put clock mechanisms through the centre hole and place them on a plate stand. I do not mark all the numbers, only 3, 6, 9 and 12, it is bad enough trying to get these in the correct place without worrying about the other 8 numbers.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-10, 07:59

HI All,
Are the clock mechanism's difficult to purchase? or can you get them fairly freely? I have a bundle of recycled discs ready for my next workshop at the retirement village and I was going to source some silver doilies and pop them in the middle so they can make a decoration for a stand. I love the clock idea, and the gift idea for your colleagues is genius!! I wonder if you got one of the grids for dimensional projects in the pattern area of the forum you could sit that on the disc as a positioning aid?
Also thanks for info about your quilled jewellery experiences. I saw an amazing piece one time and it was a polished rectangular stone with quilling on top of it. It just set the quilling off and they whole pendant was breathtaking.
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-10, 11:50

Karon,

Thanks for the grid. I found it on the forum and am sure this will save me time. I use stick on crystal type dots for the clock face, do not use numbers. Two dots for the 12 and one each for the 3, 6 and 9.

I used the word "mechanism" for the clock and in actual fact should have said "movement". If you are looking for them on the internet search for "clock movement" Jonathon Knowles sells them on line and the address is:

http://www.jknowles.com.au/shop/home.php

I have ordered from this site and have had no problems. You can also order extra hands. I have just checked out this site and they now have CD clock stands. The movements are $10.00 each and the stands are $3.95 each. If you purchase 2-9 movements the price drops to $9.50 each. You can select which hands you want and also the colour (black or gold). Check the shaft length, use either 5mm (I use the shorter hands) or 8mm shaft. The longer the shaft the higher the hands sit above the face of the clock. When you step through the purchase you will be given the options to select the hands and the colour. The second hand is selected seperately and postage is $8.80 Australia wide with Australia Post. Check out the site to get a good idea of what you may need and what else is available.

Spotlight also sells the movements and the last time I bought from them they were about $17.00 each.

The silver doilies sound like a great idea and I have just this minute had a thought that maybe you could use labels for CDs which go through the printer and stick these on to the CDs. This would give you a paper surface and my mind is just speeding through all the options this would give you. You could pre-print them, they can be drawn on, painted, paper tole or stickers. I belong to a recreation and peer support group for adults with disabilities and I think I have a great project for them.

Have a little more info on entering quilling in the Sydney Royal Easter Show. You can now do your application on-line and later post your items on the dates advised.

Hope all this is helpful.

Jocelyn

Last edited by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-12, 07:28; edited 1 time in total

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-10, 13:03

What a fabulous site, I have been there drooling over which one I am going to get.....I will be dreaming clocks tonight until I put my order in. I wonder if his clock kit projects would be just as good to try for a slightly larger project scratch
You have passed on some wonderful invaluable information, many many thanks cheers
I would love to see if anyone has photo's of the Sydney show quilling section, I plan on getting some for us all of the Bribane Ekka in a few months
What exactly are the judges looking for in shows? originality? technique? can you combine other things like punched leaves? or printed backgrounds?. I noticed on the Brisbane one when I looked it up that you can't use glitter and there is a reasonable size restriction ( from memory which isn't too good these days around 22"x30") to bare in mind not to go over but nothing more about anything much
Brisbane is the same in that you can apply by printing out the forms and either emailing, faxing or posting them in and send your entry at a later date. This is good for those living quite a distance away
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-10, 16:00

I did not take photos of the quilling at the Sydney Royal Easter. I have to admit I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination.

The judges at the show should be judging on the quilling only. Any embellishment would detract from the work and I think taking a purest attitude to your entry is the safest way to go. Originality may count and submitting an original piece of work may be the better option.

All the placegetters in the Sydney Royal Easter and most of the other entries were quilling only, original designs and no background, glitter, beads, ribbons or punch pieces. Cutting leaves out of paper and feathering the edges should be acceptable as should colouring the coils if it is to give a truer representation of the piece. An example would be the flannel flower which has white petals with light green tips. Colouring the tips should be acceptable. I think you will find that The Quilling Guild's guidelines would be along these lines.

The best tip I can give is to not let the judge see any glue or joins. Joins can usually be disguised or covered with overlapping coils.

Plan your piece, take your time and roll and shape 3 times more coils and scrolls than you will need. Line them up, match them and use the best. Next time you want to make a card it will be a quick job as you will already have all these wonderful coils and scrolls left over.

Enjoy the challenge and be proud of your finished result. I will be really interested to see the final entries. Hope this helps and good luck everyone.

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-04-16, 01:32

I mostly just keep my stuff. I have given some stuff away. 2 pictures from two years ago...and a few small stuff. I am soon sending two things I made soon, though.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-16, 02:20

Yay, I'm not alone in keeping my stuff lol

Okay so there is 6 votes for the "other" section of the poll. So what is the other then for everyone else?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top