Creative Quilling Forum

Paper.....which one

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paper.....which one

Post by admin on 2010-04-14, 06:34

HI All,
I just thought we should do a post about paper. There is so much on the market now days, do you have a preference?
There is plenty of plain colours but look too at all the graduated, metallics, gilded edge and more!
When I get paper, I always try to insure it is coloured right through (and both sides) and not have a white center as this affects the edges you see on the finished product and either makes them very white or the colour faded and washed out.
I also like my paper to be around 100-110gsm so that is sits nicely when coiled without springing to far open or not enough. What is your preference?
Do you cut your own? what results do you have? I cut my own over the 10mm as I like the opportunity to use other paper when I can especially multi coloured. I tried a silk laid strip on a card and cut my own 3cm strip last week and fringed it. It was so nice to use, very soft and looked fantastic at the end. I have also seen some really nice folded roses done from crepe paper and what a result, they looked incredible.
Do you have a story to tell about what you have used either strips, card or other?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Paper.....which one

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-04-15, 02:54

I just buy whatever tickles my fancy, am a total paper hog and way way way to much of the stuff!!!

Even bought one of those hand crank paper shredders to cut my own paper, did like the way the paper had really jagged edges so gave up on that.

Apart from that attempt I just use what's going.

Jo
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-04-16, 01:24

hooked on quilling wrote:
Even bought one of those hand crank paper shredders to cut my own paper, did like the way the paper had really jagged edges so gave up on that.

YES! I tried ordering one of those...all in all, it was only like 15 bucks...so, it would pay itself off in no time! It was from like Japan! But it was horrible, because who wants those ridges?!

For me...I just buy normal pre-cut paper. I need it to be the exact width, it's easier...and, more color choices!
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-16, 02:34

I like pre-cut stuff for the smaller sizes too (under 10mm). There is a few brands of normal paper on the market one of which comes to mind is Cansons (available in many newsagents) and they are coloured in the pulp stage giving the paper and all the way through colour. If you cut your own, it is good and their range of metallic's is just superb.

I am thinking about calling into the shops today and finding some more. I use my green craft mat that has the centimetre's marked out so I can line up all sides. I use a good ruler with sharp craft knife and that does the job just fine. Sometimes this helps too if you just can't buy the exact colour that is for a project but you find it in a sheet. You can generally get up to 30 10mm strips from 1 sheet for around 40cents of the metallic which is around the 100gsm. They also have the corresponding card stock about 250gsm to co-ordinate with. Great for speciality cards like weddings etc

I was testing out some paper I got of 2 tone from a local supplier. Colours are nice but edges are whitish and back is not coloured so on an angle I can see it. Perhaps okay for a gift card but if you are buying online and aren't sure, I suggest to ask if the strips are double sided colour before you buy so as to make sure of what you are getting if you don't like this look

karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-04-17, 00:47

hooked on quilling wrote:

Jo

That should say DIDN"T like the way the paper blah blah oops
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-17, 01:22

I think you're just too excited about your big holiday overseas!! You poor thing lol!

We'll be sitting here thinking bout you! Lucky duck

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

what paper?

Post by Jean on 2010-04-19, 16:12

Hi,

If I am making a gift card, I usually use the plain 80gsm photocopy paper, pre cut.

But

If I am making something for the wall or for framing I use the Canson paper and cut what I need for thet project. It has a percentage of cloth and as Karon said about the colour. It makes very lasting and beautiful quilling art works.

Most of the pieces from my books are hanging on the walls of our home. A few are still waiting for space in my studio.

Jean
Jean

http://www.carobana.com.au/quilling/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top