Creative Quilling Forum

More information on sealing/preserving work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More information on sealing/preserving work

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-20, 13:05

On the Yahoo Quillers Group there was a stream awhile ago on using sealants. Most of the members are from the U.S.A. and "polyurethane" (sorry may not be spelled correctly) and "DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze" were recommended.

I have researched the DecoArt product on the net and found it to be available in Australia with references for use on polymer clay, paper tole, beading, papier mache and decoupage so think it may be useful for quilling. It does not seem to be a particularly cheap product ($22.00) but is advertised as one application is like doing 3 coats.

I found the spray can in gloss available from:

www.craft.com.au

It is also available in a can and you paint it on.

I have not heard of this supplier but they do mail order. Some of the other sites were wholesale only.

I would like to order this but as I am going overseas for 6 weeks at the end of this month I will have to delay ordering until my return.

Do not have much time to research further at the moment so if anyone finds further information it would be great. Maybe someone who does paper tole (which would be the closest to quilling) knows about this or similar products.

Hope I am on the right track.

Jocelyn

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: More information on sealing/preserving work

Post by Quill Me on 2010-04-21, 00:39

I use a spray by Boyle, an Aussie company, just called Gloss Spray but I very rarely use it. Mainly used on hanging decorations at Christmas.
I cannot remember what I paid for it. I think I bought it at Spotlight.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-21, 04:24

I had a look see last week and found a few things but will have another look again later today and post the info
Thanks heaps for that research you did, all the info is just wonderful. I must also get a few patterns together for people to try making something. Even a simple necklace to start with a tear drop flower would be good for those starting out

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-21, 04:34

Okay I remember now. I found Plaid varnish at Birch haberdashery stores

Birch online store link

Found a range of Satin, glossy and matt spray cans. It says order in lots of 6. I wonder how many would be interested in cans if I ordered a batch? or if we can just buy direct from a store, I will see what I can find out from them

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-21, 05:01

Spotlight sells Birch products and I have bought the Plaid varnish there, but it was a while ago. Two or three coats work well just wait for each coat to dry before applying the next.

jocelyn

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-04-21, 06:17

Great to know there is a choice with the 2 varnishes and range of finishes. This other one you mentioned might save on having to do so many applications but I suppose with the thickness perhaps a little less control over the finish. Just found a little more on DecoArt triple thick glaze for anyone interested that Jocelyneliza mentioned
Product Description:
Triple Thick Gloss Glaze is ideal for adding a glazed ceramic look to a variety of hard craft surfaces. Because it is extra-thick, only one coat is needed for most surfaces.
Painting Surfaces:

* Wood
* Wicker
* Plaster
* Papier mache
* Resins
* Painted china
* Pre-primed metal
* Pinecones
* Jewelry
* Bisque
* Artificial Flowers

Features and Advantages:

* Goes on smoothly with no stroke marks
* Finish adds the illusion of depth
* Creates a glazed ceramic look
* Dries quickly
* Finish resist cracking
* Brushable product is non-toxic

Additional Decorating Ideas/Applications:

* Ideal for holiday projects
* Great for decoupage
* Use on wreaths and floral arrangements

Thanks Jocelyneliza, That gives everyone two options of what they can do to harden their jewellery now. I think too if you have a craft store nearby or even spotlight it would be well worth writing the names down of both varnishes (Plaid and Decoart) and checking them out to see if they have the stock
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-04-22, 15:02

Was in Spotlight today and looked for sprays/sealants. They had quite a few including Birch Classic Gloss, Plaid, Folk Art and one called Krylon which I had seen on the net but was not sure about.

Spotlight keeps these products in a locked display cabinet as, evidently, it is now law that these items cannot be sold to under 18s (maybe this is NSW only) and would be why I have not seen them when I was wizzing round the aisles.

Jocelyn

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-07-11, 07:19

I recently came across a product from Selleys, Selleys Water Shield. My BIL is a builder and is using it on the blueprints. He said it was about $12.00

"Water Shield is a silicone water repellent that repels water, snow and ice from a wide variety of fabrics. It is ideal for ... paper maps and plans.'

I used it on a pair of earrings that had not worked out so well. I dunked the earrings (just in and out of the water) and it repelled the water so I left the pieces in the water for about 2 minutes and, again, they came out without being damaged.

A bit dear if you are not doing a lot of jewellery but posted for your information.

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-11, 11:22

Great to know Jocelyn, Do you prefer to spray on or paint on? Just wondered if painting the sealant on is more easily controlled than a spray can?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-07-12, 05:13

I like to use a spray and put the items in a box for the spraying.

I line the box with foil and hang the pieces on wire which I place half way down the long side of the box. By putting the wires halfways down the box I am able to turn the box over and spray the other side without touching the item. Also spraying in the box uses less product as the spray that misses the items bounce off the foil and onto the item from the back and sides so when I turn the items and spray the second side it is just a quick light burst.

Jocelyneliza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top