Creative Quilling Forum

MEMBER OF THE MONTH ~ MAY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MEMBER OF THE MONTH ~ MAY

Post by admin on 2010-05-01, 06:28

Hi all, that time again and hasn't the month flown! This months member of the Month is jocelyneliza
and here is her story.....

About you and your family.

I live at Parramatta, a semi-retired Human Resources Officer, now on my own and, unfortunately, was never blessed with children which is something I had to come to terms with. I hope my best quilling is yet to come.

Have you always been a crafty person? if so what sorts

I was fortunate as a child to have grandmothers and great-aunts who taught me knitting and crochet from about the age of 7. One of my grandmothers was also a tailoress and I learnt to make clothes on a treadle machine. I am not sure what age I was but must have been 11 or 12 because before then I was not tall enough and I would not have been able to reach the treadle. My mother did wonderful embroidery and was a beautiful knitter.

When I was 18 I saw a Paragon book on tatting and taught myself to tat from that. The first half of the double stitch was mastered quickly but it took me quite a while to be able to "click" the second half of the stitch. I am also not very good at calligraphy and I can just get by.

How did you get introduced to quilling?

My sister was buying, week by week, volumes which made up into a craft collection. I saw quilling (I think this is where I saw the "Willow Pattern" mentioned later) and went looking for tools and books.

What did you start with and how did you learn?

Not knowing anything about quilling, the book I chose was Filigree Jewellery by Malinda Johnston. I learned from this book which meant I started quilling with eccentric coils and huskings. I did not have a designer board and used a piece of corrugated cardboard and something plastic (can not remember what) to do the huskings and washers to get the coils all the same size which is very important for jewellery. After a few months I found someone giving quilling lessons and learned, what I called a that time, freehand quilling which included the basic shapes, roses, fringed flowers, grape rolls and scrolls and I was away.

Who and what influences has there been on your quilling?

When I first started quilling there were not many quillers around, no groups and no internet. I bought pattern books and the only ones I could find at that time were Malinda Johnston's. I still have her books and they are like old friends. They are the ones I turn to for inspiration.

Do you combine quilling with other crafts?

I am quite the purest with my quilling and do not use punches or stamps or ribbons or glitter or bling of any kind but this is just me and I am known for it. I see beautiful cards using these additions and embellishments and really admire them but, try as I may, I just can not bring myself to use them. My friend will quill me a birthday card and put a dot of glitter or a small pearl bead or some such in the middle of a rose just to annoy me.

I have a Gocco and print up twenty or thirty cards at a time with "Happy Birthday" or, the use for nearly everything else wording, "Best Wishes" instead of using the stickers (I do not have a "straight" eye and find I mess up more stickers than I use). I use a "blow pen" for a one colour or multi-colour background and I also like to make "quilling stamps" to match flowers and I place the quilling on top. This gives a shadow or outline effect and it is quite rustic (meaning I am not always exact with the placement and it sounds better to say "rustic" than I "mucked it up").

What is your favourite quilling?

I like doing large projects like a wall hanging. If I see a picture in a magazine or children's book that catches my eye I like to try and recreate it in quilling. I have always loved Malinda Johnston's horse head with flowers round its neck and have given this as a present a few times. I have also made her Panda.

What do you want to achieve with your quilling?

I have already achieved quite a bit with quilling especially in "spreading the word" about quilling. I used to hold lessons and have been invited to schools to teach the students about quilling. I was on a P&O cruise quite a few years ago and taught basic quilling to the passengers. I also taught a few of the P&O staff and now quilling is offered as an activity on P&O cruises.

What work have you been especially proud of?

I have always liked simple quilling and, I guess, the first time I completed Malinda Johnston's horses head with flowers I was really so proud and spent hours just looking at it.

I am more proud of the work I have done related to quilling. I have a friend who is a Diversional Therapist in a Rehabilitation and Palliative Care hospital and I go once a month and we do simple projects with the residents. The nurses also join in and enjoy it almost as much as the residents.

I am quite proud of a Company I had for 12 years where I did wedding stationery and competed with the commercial stationery printers. Over a wedding season I would have to make a minimum 12,000 bells and 6,000 bows which sounds quite daunting. I could make 50 bells an hour and also 50 bows an hour and one of my nephews used to also make bells and bows for me and I would pay him for his output.

And what would you like to learn about? (i.e. miniatures? Stuff like that)

I am always learning with all the new techniques which have emerged over the last 20 years but I have never once done actual size 3D cups, saucers or plates. I saw a picture years ago of a quilled "Willow Pattern" plate and it so impressed me I have never forgotten it and I have always wanted to try it. Now that I am semi-retired I am determined to complete a "Willow Pattern" plate. Only thing is, I am finding it hard to find a "Willow Pattern" plate or a picture to copy.

What you would like to add….. to encourage others

Believe when others say your work is good. You may not get it perfect but that is O.K. We all have things we do not get quite right but you will be the only one that knows about it and, also, that is what makes your work unique.

Jocelyn
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: MEMBER OF THE MONTH ~ MAY

Post by admin on 2010-05-01, 06:31

Thanks so much Jocelyn for sharing your life and passion of quilling with us. I wonder though without trying to sound too dumb..... What is quilling stamps?
karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-05-01, 09:15

Karon I do not think it is a dumb question and I tend to forget that we all use techniques that others may not have heard about. It is wonderful that we have this forum to exchange techniques and ideas.

Quilling stamps are stamps you make out of coils. I can not remember where I discovered how to make these stamps but they are simple to make using quilled shapes and material you probably have at hand.

A simple one to start:

Using 3mm roll 5 teardrops and assemble a 5 teardrop flower.

Cut a square of heavy cardboard which is slightly larger than the flower and smear with surface with glue. (You could also use small blocks of wood or ceramic tiles as long as the surface is smooth.)

Glue the quilled flower to the cardboard and let it dry completely. Aquadhere or the like is fine.

Seal the piece with a spray sealant. Do 2 or 3 coats and let it dry completely between coats.

You can now use this as you would any stamp.

I also make small stamps of a single shapes - teardrop, loose coil, shaped teardrop, marquise and shaped marquise which I use to add a little more detail to the background or stamp a flower or animal pattern out.

The stamps will not last forever but it is so easy to make a replacement.

I hope this is enough information to inspire someone to give it a go.

Sorry but I am pushed for time at the moment otherwise I would have made some examples.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-05-01, 09:55

wow, how interesting Jocelyn. OH what a life to be able to go cruising around and teaching quilling at the same time Smile Have never seen a cup or saucer real size quilled, that would be awesome.

The quilling stamps is a fantastic idea, will have to give it a go.

cheers
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-05-01, 13:06

Joycelyn,
Loved reading about your life story in quilling. Would love to see the Willow pattern done.
Thanks for sharing the stamp technique.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-05-01, 16:19

loved reading about your life in quilling, very Inspiring!
Would love to see your art.Thanks for sharing with us.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-05-02, 03:47

Hooked on Quilling please let me know how the “stamps” work out, I am sure you will come up with some wonderful designs. This is nearest I come to adding “bling” to my work, stamping with gold or silver ink!

One of the most beautiful examples of a cup, saucer and spoon I have seen is by Pat Caputo of

www.Whimsiquills.com

Thank you Bronwyn, I enjoy seeing your work and your anniversary card was wonderful, I hope to get into the “Willow” plate on my return from overseas. Maybe I will find a pattern or plate while I am in Asia.

Paula I loved your bird house. Calendars are a great source of inspiration and your interpretation really works. I hope to be able to post some of my work when I return in about 2 months.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by psychedaboutquilling on 2010-05-03, 01:54

Congratulations on making member of the month Jocelyneliza! flower
psychedaboutquilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down