Creative Quilling Forum

Minatures - who has done what?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Minatures - who has done what?

Post by admin on 2010-05-16, 05:30

I shudder when I think of trying to work with small things with my big fingers but I have seen some pretty amazing miniature quilled work around and some inspiration to lead me to a different area I haven't gone before. Take a look at this site
watermark crafts link
I found this site and it was wonderful how the miniature plants are so life like and the shears are just complimentary to the piece. If you wanted to try something simple to start you off, what about this easel?
fringed flower on easel link
If you are using a fringer or use to working with larger strips, try fringing your wider strip and cutting it down with a ruler and craft knife to 3 or 4mm once you have finished fringing to make a smaller flower. You can then add your 1.5 or 2mm centre for a nice small flower and coil away to make a miniature.
This was a lovely flower pot I found too!
flower pot link
and this
very small flower pot link

Do you have anything special in the way of a miniature you are particularly proud of? do you have a pattern to share with us?
Diane Crane has a lovely book on making miniatures book link Have you tried anything out of this one before? Don't the chocolates look just too yummy

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Minatures - who has done what?

Post by admin on 2010-05-16, 05:34

I nearly forgot.... These days you can find a lot of quilling work on you tube.
you tube video link
You might find some ideas here too

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-05-16, 20:45

Karon your really good at finding quilling sites dont know how you find the time with your bussy days.
Love the sites, I thinks its great to watch Y-Tube you can actually see step by step on how they creat there art. I actually learn better watching than trying to read intructions or directions.
I went to watermarks and read about the history of quilling very interesting.
Couldn't believe the penny size minatures ,I'd think you'd have to have pretty darn good finger tips to make them,lol thats got to be hard.Well I'm going back to Watermarks to check out more, hope all are quilling and fun.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-05-17, 03:09

The urge to do miniatures has not struck me yet. But I must say those flowers in pots look so cute.
Bronwyn - who is quilling a fish card today.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-05-19, 15:33

I like what Paula has done with her flower soft incorporating it into her flowers and I was thinking of doing a combo of baby roses, small fringed flowers and flower soft pom pom flowers in a pot. I am just trying to get some small leaves done at the moment for my larger pic that I feel like I have been working on forever. Had a large family staying with me for a month now and it has been tough getting some time to myself.
Anyways....only 60 husked 1.5mm leaves to go arrggg
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-05-19, 19:37

Love to see your picture, the idea you have on flower combo sounds neat,would also like to see them when your done. Are you making your own leaves or using punches ?. Is there a book floating around some where that shows you how to make leaves?
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-05-21, 05:54

Hi Paula,
I initially punched the leaves on my vines but I have husked 1.5mm leaves by using the alternate loop method. I have 2 nice husked patterns I will email you today on PDF files with the method on them. What I did so I could make them exactly the same as the punched leaves was I punched a leaf out of a piece of paper and then I used that as my template for my leaves. These are just a few I have done but not attached over the punched leaves as yet

This is the picture so far
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-05-21, 06:14

It's turned out very ,very nice !. You can tell you've put alot of work into it. Love it. You should be very proud of it! also love the water fountain!.
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-05-21, 06:19

Thanks Paula,
I am hoping to put the husked leaves plus the 60 more I have to make over the punched leaves and then I will get into the garden a bit more and fill it. It is one of those projects I keep coming back to doing a bit and leaving it again. Just needs more time that's all lol.... where can I buy that? I hope you got those patterns
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-05-21, 06:26

I got the patterns, thankyou!
I went and got a sturdy folding table and floor shelves for my craft room trying to make it more organised and easy access , what a mess dont know where to begin,lol
Paula bounce
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-24, 04:09

I think normally my 3D work is too big to be considered miniature. But my fruit bowl that I just put in the gallery DEFINITLY is mini. I have it next to a DIME.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-06-24, 05:11

Great job Quilling, I left comments in gallery, did you have a kit or pattern for the fruit bowl ,vase ,and fish?. I've been searching for patterns and or kits for 3-D and no such luck finding any. My favorite out of the 3 you made would have to be the fish they are so adorable!
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-24, 06:04

paulahogue wrote:Great job Quilling, I left comments in gallery, did you have a kit or pattern for the fruit bowl ,vase ,and fish?. I've been searching for patterns and or kits for 3-D and no such luck finding any. My favorite out of the 3 you made would have to be the fish they are so adorable!
Paula

Nope! It all came from my noggin. I can give brief instructions on patterns if you'd like.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-24, 06:39

I must say, that miniatures are fun to make. And I love doing them, incase anyone didn't notice from some of the pictures in the gallery. My favourite miniature (well, it wasn't really mini, it was about 8cms tall) was my pram, because I got the wheels to move! I don't use patterns or look for things, it usually is a spur of the moment thing where I see something (like Pat Caputo's basket of flowers on a card) and get the inclination to create 3D things. Can't seem to help myself sometimes. I thought it was interesting about Paula's dragon, as I had just started one myself for a friend's Christmas present, and now I am thinking that I am going to try and make it miniature. I have also thought about making Paula's rocking horse that she posted in the gallery a little while ago into a miniature, but one thing at a time! I would love to share a pattern with you to try Karon to kick start your miniatures, but alas, I work from what is in my head... and to be honest I haven't yet tried to write a pattern. One good book that I have purchased with some 3D stuff in it is Jane Jenkins Three Dimensional Quilling (purchased through my local craft store, but can also be located on Fishpond books). I haven't made any of her miniatures, but it has given me guidance for more complex things and also inspiration for other projects, such as my ballerina that I haven't finished. I have also made a couple of things out of the book by Ali Bartowski called Paper Quilling for the first time (can also be located on Fishpond books), this is where the fruit bowl I posted came from...

But good luck with the miniatures though! I am off to make another pram with a yellow teddy in it for an order now... have fun quilling!
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-06-24, 09:29

I've never tried miniatures cause i don't have where to put them you need to have a glass show case or something cause they're so dainty the only minatures i've done are bells which i put on wedding cards. Love your lovely juliet picture Karon i assume it's juliet in the window balcony isn't it well done.
miriam:)))))
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-24, 09:33

Miriam, you don't have to have a glass show case to put them in, in fact you would be surprised how sturdy some of them can be. I had one that was only ruined when my 2 year old ate it! Apparently daffodils taste good. But otherwise I have made some miniatures that I have trodden on and still survived ok. I don't usually keep them though myself, I tend to give them away to people.
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-06-24, 16:28

Hi Belinda in malta we have dry climate so lots of dust blows and they have to be in a showcase Smile) Anyway after lots of work i would prefer to close them where they can be seen and would stay nice and clean usually i think you have to give them a clear lacquer spray to stay nice and sturdy i do that on all my covered boxes so as to have a long life and it would be easy to brush the dust away too.
Sometimes i use my hair dryeer on cold air to blow away the dust too Wink
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-24, 16:36

Hi Miriam,

Totally understand about the dust. I live in a tropical climate that is quite humid, so for similar reasons, I do have to seal my work when it is finished otherwise it gets very dusty and being exposed to humidity, looses its shape. I would never have thought to doing my dusting with a hair dryer... lol will definately look in to that! Thanks for the tip! Very Happy
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-26, 07:09

Funny belinda, I got a sample for some 3d kits from my supplier a few weeks back not miniature but a quilled mobile stand with a scarecrow on it. Looks pretty cool as you have the scarecrow next to a spot where you can put a picture/ clock or the like with a heavy wooden base to support it. The other one is for a quilled bug and memo pad stand similar with the heavy base and quilled bug boxes. Good start for things. I have also been doing a few folded roses of late with crepe paper. Has anyone else tried these? They look so effective and the paper only costs you $1.50 for the whole pack.
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-26, 10:25

The samples sound interesting Karon! Would never have thought of doing folded roses with crepe paper, have tried tissue paper, which was nice, as it was a 'soft' paper, which gave the roses 'life'. Awesome, it never ceases to amaze me the ideas people have to create things... Very Happy
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-27, 03:53

Hi Belinda,
yes, saw them on a site once and wanted to try but couldn't find crepe paper as many places don't stock it any more. All you do is cut a 2-3cm wide section off the top of the bundle while it is still folded. Insure you put the petals where you want them to go as they don't relax like normal paper and don't strech it. I even punched out some leaves of green and covered the stems in green
Not a good pic but you can see the first few

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-27, 04:08

I really like those Karon, you did a great job with them! I like the texture that the crepe paper gives the roses... awesome! you could almost make them life size as a figt to someone for their birthday or something. Thanks for sharing Karon!
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-06-27, 04:56

very beautiful Karon,thanks for sharing!
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-27, 05:55

Thanks both of you. These ones are about 1/2 normal size and can be made to any size you want. It took me about 3 before I got use to folding each petal where I wanted it so the paper didn't get stretched and not having the ability to allow it to relax. 1 flower takes about 50-55cm. Once I cut the unfolded section off the top of the bundle I can get about 4 or 5 and the piece was 2-3cm width. being a 50cmx240cm length that is a very economical way to make roses as 1 pack will set you back about $1.50AUD.
Also I got a bit green on the fingers when gluing the stems as the colour runs a touch needing that bit extra glue but they are definitely more effective using the same paper for the leaves and stems and it was easy to remove. I have done six so far which was to be an all red in a bunch of 20-30 but decided to get some more colours like yellow and white to make it more colourful as all red was kinda a romantic colour on it's own where I want a more cheery look. You can buy floristry wire but if you have a handyman in the house it would be worth checking out his garage for a roll of wire that can be used the same and much cheaper. I would recommend every 2-3 folds just to put a dollop of glue at the base so your petals sit where you want them.
They also look nice in a wine glass so once I have enough in there, they should look awesome
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-27, 05:57

Does anyone have some good tips for rose buds? I made one just tighter with some green leaves coming up around it so it is partially opening but wouldn't mind trying a closed bud!!
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top