Creative Quilling Forum

Would you like for quilling to be well known?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you like for quilling to be well known?

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-25, 05:21

Some of us, I am sure, like quilling for its "unique" quality-that your everyday person usually doesn't know what quilling is until you try to explain it. But, I am sure that now and then you've wished for quilling to be more of a popular craft.

So, my question for you is, do you like how it is now, not so well known, or would you rather that your everyday person at least knows what it is. For instance, everyone knows about sculpting...but few people do it Laughing. Would you like for there to be more quillers out there?
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you like for quilling to be well known?

Post by Quill Me on 2010-06-26, 02:11

That is a very interesting question.
It is nice to introduce quilling to people who know nothing about it. It may spark an interest in it for them.
I think it mainly attracts people who have an artistic side anyway.
The"everday" person may have not have interest in these artistic pursuits and will often scoff at sculpture or art that they cannot understand.
But you cannot generalise. You never know who will be your next customer if you are selling your quilling Exclamation

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-26, 06:45

Rachelle, I am so happy to see you. You must be so busy with life of late.

That is a hard question. I want people to experience quilling because especially for those without the artistic side (like me) who have tried so many things and not been good at them, it was so wonderful to find something that I could do and I think quilling is so much easier to try than say painting, sculpting and the like. It is also pretty cheap and versatile.

I love being a part of introducing others to the craft more so as I love to see others experience the joys of creating and the calming affect quilling has. I have 2 teenager classes coming up shortly and am really excited knowing that at least for some, this craft can be a special skill that can take them through their life and give so much love and enjoyment to friends and family.

I am sure there is pitfalls to being widely known or not but for the most part I am so glad I came across it and I would love everyone to experience what I have over my quilling time. Perhaps we will be around to see it get big? who knows

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-26, 07:39

Karon,

Yeah, I had finals to worry about...ah, summer.

Yeah, I am thankful for quilling! I cannot draw or paint, but I can quill, and I can do it WELL. I am even creative enough to not have to use patterns all of the time. I do like that it is unique and everyone is like "what is QUILLING?!" But then again it would be nice to have a quilling buddy.
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-06-26, 07:42

Have you been able to make something unique and your own pattern? If I make something of my own creation and I like it, I do it again but put a pencil and paper next to me and write the instructions out as I go so I can use them for later or others that way so if I get asked how I did it, I have it down in writing
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-26, 07:46

Well, I write some stuff down. Actually, none of the new things I have in the gallery I used a pattern for! I really should write it down more, but I tend to not want to re-make my quilled pieces (except my 3D pots, those instructions are in my HEAD).

I am making a cute table right now! It has these cute chairs and a table. I am going to add tiny napkins, cups, a treat like brownies on a plate, and, my personal fave: two tiny forks with craft wire!!(that has been my savior for the table and chairs, its legs).
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-06-26, 10:33

Your project sounds exciting Rachelle! I must say though, your question is a hard one. I wouldn't be worried either way, because if they know about it, its great and if not the enjoyment is introducing them to this art form, and as Bronwyn so aptly expressed, some people do not appreciate some art forms and will scoff either way. I like to draw as well as quill, although I haven't taken up charcoal and sketch book for YEARS. I don't write my instruction down when I make things, but I do keep a book with drawings of each project and I have been taking photos of each project now, so that I also have a photographic journal, although as you can see from some of my posts in the gallery, I am NOT a photographer!! lol Very Happy

The really funny thing is that by trade I am a social worker, but always wanted to be an interior designer, but didn't know what studies to take to do it... so alas I channel it into my quilling these days.

P.S. Hope your finals went well Rachelle Exclamation
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-06-27, 06:06

WOO! I finished my table, it's in the gallery. The forks I made were SO tiny, I was flinging it with my nail (made with craft wire of course!).
quillingsavy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top