Creative Quilling Forum

Worshops for kids - ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Worshops for kids - ideas

Post by admin on 2010-07-01, 14:40

Yesterday I had a workshop for the local council teenager program. I have spent so much time over the months teaching adults that I really had to think about what would be the best thing for kids learning quilling and thought I might share what I found the best and if you have any suggestions please add.
I took a flower kit (5 basic flowers of varying techniques instructions and paper) and plastic tool with slotted metal tip as this is economical for kids in which they can take home to continue on after the workshop. For their first class or so I use card tags and usually stamp them with "thank you" or "for you" then the kids make a flower or 2 as this is quick and easy for them to have a finished product to take home rather than a larger card that may go home unfinished. The only other things needed is scissors, pva glue and I also have on hand, which is not necessary but kids love, is a little glitter (kindy glitz) to embellish. I also have the book twirling paper which is excellent for kids and I take it to all my classes as the kids love it not to mention even the adults as it has some great things to make for kids cards. The book has quilled animals, bugs, sea creatures, foods and much more to help with new projects for them as they always seem to want new things to do as the weeks go on and this book I couldn't speak more highly of an aid in this area.
All in all, the kids are all returning and rebooking for the next workshop as we all had such a wonderful time. They made flowers and even progressed onto a butterfly with some glitter to the wings was just the icing on the cake. It is so lovely to see so many young ones taking up the art of quilling in favour of video games and the like. I think I was more excited than the kids

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Worshops for kids - ideas

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-01, 20:01

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, it's great that you and others can teach not just adults but children.not only does it keep them out of trouble but it brings another generation into Quilling.
I'm all for raising kids up on crafts and Art.I've raised my kids and now Grandkids on crafts ,now on special days they make us cards and little gifts from the heart and I do cheerish them.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-01, 23:40

Sounds like it all went very well, Karon. it is good to get kids thinking creatively.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-07-06, 04:59

A Council TEENAGER PROGRAM? I am insulted. Teens are no kids. LOL, couldn't help it. I can do just as well as any of you can...of course I think I am rather unique in that tongue. Yes, yes, you probably then started thinking of kids, and even teens should start small, THAT is for sure.

I technically started quilling as a kid...I was like 10. I got this small kit with other creatures, I think that the caterpillars are pretty easy, and like you said, that Twirled Paper book is just gold for kids. After I got that kit, I kinda stopped for a bit because there was nothing else new to quill, and it only came with a few colors. I saw Klutz's catalog with that book, and it was perfect, I loved it, which got me hook. Yay for there being at least one good quilling book for kids cheers!

If I were you, I would be more excited then the kids as well about the quilling! I would love them loving it! If you start small with kids, which to me is esential, because we all want them to love quilling, and not to be overwhelmed by it, or bored of it, that is the best thing to do (woo for major useage of commas Laughing).
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top