Creative Quilling Forum

Quilling Dies for your cuttlebug

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quilling Dies for your cuttlebug

Post by admin on 2010-07-12, 08:46

Hi Everyone,
I am not sure if many of you have a cuttlebug but I know any avid card maker either has one or knows of them.
My manufacturer from overseas was telling me about these and asking about the interest here for them. Well, I had to admit I had absolutely not idea what he was talking about and he gave me a link to look at the new dies available on the market specially for quilling. Each different kit makes a different flower. Tell me what you think!
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Quilling Dies for your cuttlebug

Post by bZb on 2010-07-12, 12:19

Hi Karon,

I have a cuttlebug (great invention that it is... love it!! seconded only to the cricut) and I also have some quilling dies for use in it. I have 2 dies that cut different length fringed flowers and some that do the stamens - the only problem that I have with them is that I think the strip for the flower is too large, it measures about 4mms, so larger than your normal 3mm strip of paper, but not 5mm...

But I love it none the less... I love you
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-13, 08:36

I see what you mean Belinda, I would be concerned with the left over scrap. When you cut your own, you use a whole piece but through the cuttlebug you use a piece of card that is cut out hence the wastage factor. What if there was a die to just cut plain old quilling strips for different size widths? thoughts?
My cuttle bug is sitting up on a shelf begging me to use it but I just haven't had the time and don't like the dies I have here. It would be good if I had some specific paper width ones that I could put it through to get what I want. The quilling die is pretty novel though!
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-17, 18:08

My quick review!

I bought two of these sets yesterday and am still playing with them. I find that they make bigger flowers than I usually make which may be a good thing for scrapbookers as flowers on layouts certainly is popular. They make a thick flower which may not be so popular with card makers. I say this because I am in Canada and if an envelope is thick, we have to pay extra for postage.

The daisy set I really like. I found that the daisy is more realistic if I fold each petal in half lengthwise before I quill. I do this on the biggest die. Unlike the video, I glue all my strips together before I roll. I will have to try it the way they did it and see if there is a difference. The leaves die is handy. The strips die, sometimes I hand fringe for a more delicate look.

The rose/carnation set I am having some trouble with as the petals are so wide and it is difficult to unfold them after they are rolled and have them look nice. I see their instructions are a bit different than how I was doing them so I will have to try it their way. I'm on the fence on this set though. I need some more play time with these.

I have ordered the chrysanthemum set but I'm not sure that I really needed it since I usually do my own hand fringing. (I never did get my machine fringer to work well.) It will come in handy for teaching a class especially teaching children who wouldn't be able to cut the fringing well.

I still have to play some more trying different papers but I think that I will get my money's worth out of these dies even if I don't use them often.

The strip dies cut a strip that is wider than 1/8 inch, more like 3/16 (I haven't measured, just guessing) but at least it does smooth edges. I like this width as it is easy to hand fringe for smaller flowers.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-20, 05:22

Thanks so much Heather for the update, we don't have them in Australia as yet but I dare say they will be here soon and I was wondering how they are going elsewhere in the world. I found your review very informative.
Many thanks
karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top