Creative Quilling Forum

What can you do with your strips???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What can you do with your strips???

Post by admin on 2010-07-12, 17:06

Just thought I would start a thread with regard to strips. Whether you make your own or buy them precut, there are often things you can do to enhance/change the colour or give it a completely different look.
Take these roses for instance

I had 2 different ink pads and some white strips to go with my purple ones. I took a white strip and laid it over the first ink pad and dabbed lightly in different areas. Another thing you can do is use a stamp with a pattern. After doing both sides and letting it dry, I took the other lighter colour and dabbed some ink the same way just in different spots. After the strip dried I then was able to make my roses. You could also fringer the same strips with a good effect.
This ones was a kaleidoscope ink pad, just another effect. Sorry the pic is bad it was part of a large garden pic and I had to cut it out of that and blow it up. Didn't work as well but you can get the gist.

This card was also fun. I husked with graduated strips but the fringed flower at the bottom is what I want to draw your attention to. I used silk laid paper which has a material feel and cut a 3cm width strips and used a pearlised 10mm strips for the center.

Some other things I have done just for a difference. Cut your 10-20mm strip with a boarder punch or shape it with your scissors. I did this with the second layer of this one and although slight you can see the nice effect it can have

Some other effects that are lovely are: kindy glitz on the very edge of your strip or you can use some puff paint. Make your own gilded paper with gold or silver metallic marker texta's from the newsagent but you can do this with all of these to the flower to add the finishing touches.
Have you tried something out of the ordinary you would like to share? Things that work and things that don't?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: What can you do with your strips???

Post by Bevie on 2010-07-12, 18:32

One day I really wanted some pale pink patterned paper to make up some flowers and I only had plain paper strips.
So, I got on the computer and made up a pink pattern, printed it out and there I had my pink patterned paper just waiting to be sliced up.

With a bit of practice I found that it was better to print both sides of the paper then I didn't have a pattered and plain flower just a lovely patterned flower.
Hugs. Bevie.

Bevie

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-07-13, 00:23

I have stamped them, glittered them, embossed them... But I stopped cutting my own strips because the shredder that I was using cuts the paper too wide and I haven't yet looked at another shredder. And I didn't like the edge on the shredded paper that I have used. But one day... Otherwise I don't tend to do much with my strips now. I just make things with them and try and purchase pre cut strips with the right colours. (bit boring I know, but its stress free and mess free - as I don't really have any ink pads since the younger two children redecorated the house with them). Very Happy
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-13, 00:38

Wow Belinda your house sounds colourful!! A few ladies that I teach cut their own strips with a shredder. They have found that good for practice stuff but they say they don't seem to like the jagged edge that is left by the shredder. Did you find this? Perhaps it is the type of shredder they are using. Did you notice a significant difference by the embossing method? Got any pics?
I love your idea Bevie with the printed strips. I usually use precut for anything up to the 10mm but over that I cut myself. I have also used scrapbooking papers and other decorative ones but also found that I am limited if it is only printed on one side and therefore ended up with double fringed flowers. You could also print your own graduated colours!?!
Has anyone used puff paint. Don't know what they call it now but puff paint or tee shirt paint is what we use to call it when I was growing up... but I was looking at some flowers of Jean's and they looked fabulous. Not only did the colour look striking but also the paint having a dimension just made it stand out all the more. They were very natural.
Great tips Belinda and Bevie

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-13, 01:17

I can remember when my kids loved decorating the walls with crayons and markers or paint the carpet because they wanted designs instead of plain one color,lol.
I cut my paper strips unless I want to use shiny or pearl like paper then I order it.most of my strips I cut.I have more time on my hands so it doesnt bother me to do so.I like the idea of printing a pink design on paper then shredding them into strips, I might just try that.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-07-13, 13:57

Laughing lol Karon and Paula! Yes my house is definately colourful... just to note though, that Fushcia coloured ink does not come out of cream coloured carpet very well! And I can definately agree that walls are a great surface to pencil, crayon or chalk and I am sure that anyone who has children or who has had children will also attest to that!! But I did find the same Karon using shredders, the jagged edge. I don't like it as it gets 'fuzzy' on your designs. I haven't even thought recently about looking for a shredder that doesn't cut fuzzy or too wide, but will one day. I do like Bevie's idea about the patterned paper too... sounds like a great effect! Thanks for sharing this tip Bevie... will try it out one day.
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-17, 07:03

I have sprayed Glimmer Mist in various colours on paper and then cut the strips to make roses. I don't have any left at the moment but will make some up in the future to show you.

I have also cut vellum into strips and used it for quilling butterflies as it gives a delicate look. Varigated parchment paper also works well cut into strips for a different look.

I have three shredders that do different widths but I agree, the edges aren't as nice so I use these only when teaching for students to practice or when I want to do something fringed as the fringing doesn't show the edges as much.

Thank you for this thread....It gave me the incentive to try my alcohol inks and ink pads to colour as well.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-17, 07:41

Great ideas Heather I am going to give some of yours a go too!!
With my workshops etc I have been using a box of tidbits that I got from Jean. She get off cuts from a printer (I never would have thought to ask) and they have some unusual patterns etc but already strips being off cuts. There is a huge variety of colours, widths and types of paper to use and it is very economical for a beginner to just wants some practice strips. I have to admit though, last workshop the girls made some very nice pieces out of these off cuts. Best part is that they are already cut and no jagged edges. I never would have thought to go and ask a printers as it would only be discarded anyway.
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bevie on 2010-07-20, 19:01

I don't use paper from my shredder because it is too wide.
I have got a small paper guillotine that I use.
I have to be a bit careful because the paper will slip a bit just as you start to cut it.
It makes for interesting designs though.

If I am making something special I use bought cut strips.

Hugs. Bevie.

Bevie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-30, 08:48

Here is a picture of some funky flowers I made with graduated colour vellum paper. The scanner kind of squished them but you can get the idea.

Here is a flower done with the cuttlebug dies and I added glossy accents to simulate raindrops.

The picture doesn't show the strips to advantage but here is the idea of using copic markers to add shading to quilling. I coloured a white strip with 4 different greens in the same family. The end result actually turns out better than the scanner shows. I would use this method if I couldn't find the exact colour of strip that I wanted. The bottom two marquise shapes I made from a varigated strip and the others were the plain colours made darker for shading.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-30, 17:40

love the fringed flowers What width of paper did you use?
Paula flower
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-30, 17:52

Paula I cut my own strips on those fringed flowers and didn't really measure. They are probably about 1//4 - 1/2 inch width.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-30, 18:55

THanks Heather, I have cut 1/4 strips using a office paper shredder used for cutting up documents and stuff. cool I can make some fringed flowers,lol
Paula flower
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top