Creative Quilling Forum

Banksia pattern

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Banksia pattern

Post by lilys3ns3i on 2010-07-13, 14:58

Hi,
Very inspired by all the work i've seen on the site cheers . A friend of mine has been singing the Banksia man's song to his nephew and i'd love to make a quilling version of a banksia for him. Unfortunately it's beyond my skill level to work out how to go about it confused . Does anyone know of a book that might have a banksia pattern?
Any help much appreciated,
Lyn

lilys3ns3i

Back to top Go down

Re: Banksia pattern

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-14, 02:08

Hi Lyn,
There is a banksia pattern in a book "Quilling" by Melanie Morris, published in 1991. It is not really the "Old man banksia " shape and it is supposed to be a red one. I have done it is orangy - yellow colours and that works well. But it may give you some ideas.
The book has a good number of other native flower and animal designs.
The book is ISBN 0-949457-465-9

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post by lilys3ns3i on 2010-07-14, 03:26

Thanks Bronwyn...very helpful, will check it out Laughing

lilys3ns3i

Back to top Go down

Help!

Post by lilys3ns3i on 2010-07-14, 07:00

aahhh! I've spent all morning at my local book and craft stores and then some more time on the internet and all I've managed to find is Melanie Morris' second book published in 1999 called 'Australian Book of Quilling' (ISBN 9781876261047). The bookseller said it might have been re-released. It has a a picture of some cards, boxes and a purple butterfly on the front. Am worried I'll order it and it won't have the banksia in it. Do you think it sounds like the right book?
Thanks for your help
Lyn

lilys3ns3i

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-14, 07:19

Hi Lyn
Just read your thread and was wondering if you have contacted Jean? She has also written 4 Australian quilling books and has a fascination for Australian flora throughout all those. Her email is in the members page or you can link back to her website and call her directly. She can tell you what she has published and what modifications you will need to get the exact one you are making. She also has black and white copies of her books for $12 which I think is pretty nominal. She is a friendly helpful lady and gives free lessons to anyone who calls in on her.
I would also check the local libraries too!! it is amazing the books available that you can borrow with no cost. You may find that book Bronwyn is talking about is in the library and you can check it out.
One other thing, fishpond books has about 35 quilling books and they are heavily discounted. The postage is a nominal $5 for up to $50 of purchases and free after that. fishpond books link
Hope that helps
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-14, 09:47

Melanie Morris has published 2 books - so that would be her 2nd one. It does not have the banksia in it.
I have just done a quick search of 2nd hand book shops online and no luck. Sad

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-14, 10:14

HI there
I just did a search for Melanie Morris an introduction to designs and techniques 1991 and it came up in quite a few public libraries. This is good to know.
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-14, 10:20

ooh oooh I found it (jumping up and down)

Fishpond books sells it. Oooh doh, I just realised they are out. but if you check it out the isbn numbers are there perhaps making it easier to order

Here is the link

Quilling with Melanie Morris

If you do pick it up from the library I think you can photocopy a page or two but not the whole book. Ask them then you might be able to get the exact pattern you want that way
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by miapet on 2010-07-21, 09:36

I have a pattern of bottlebrush and wattle with very detailed instructions from an old 1996 Better homes & Garden magazine. If you would like, I will send it to you.

Regards,
Pauline Dougan, (miapet)

miapet

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-26, 00:00

How did you go Lyn, did you find anything?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top