Creative Quilling Forum

A little inspiration...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A little inspiration...

Post by admin on 2010-07-23, 14:01

Hi all,
I got a lovely picture today of a piece that has been done by one of our new members, Donna from Sydney aka quillable.
She has spent over 350 hours on this picture using 1.5mm strips. Please enlarge to get the full benefit of this detailed work
Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful piece with us...I am sure I can see Paula drooling from here

Karon

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: A little inspiration...

Post by bZb on 2010-07-23, 14:38

OMG! What can you say to that? Stunning... I am speechless! Lovely work. Definately something to aspire to! wow...
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-07-23, 15:19

wow awesome incredible work
miriam Smile
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-23, 17:24

I am totally in awe! WOW!
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-23, 17:46

Wow. yes I'm drooling and cant stop staring at the picture. Donna you are a true Artist!.
I dont think I could work on one project for that long ,I get impatient and want it done in a week,lol. all those flowers wow and all the detail on the dress ,fancy!,I'm over whelmed by it.
How big is the picture? How did you come up with the idea, was it a picture you've seen or did you draw it yourself?. Fantastic, love it !
Paula flower
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-23, 19:28

I keep coming back to this picture for another look. Would love to know more details about it too. I love the dimensional look, it is just perfect! I am a rank beginner when I look at my work compared to this lovely spectacular piece of art.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-24, 02:05

WOW How very beautiful! It looks like an embroidery.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Thankyou

Post by quillable on 2010-07-24, 12:52

Hi Everyone
Thankyou for the lovely comments on My Quilled Lady in the Park - a couple of you would like to know a bit more about how it came about. Well First off I have just measured it and it is 35cm across by 25cm high - the start of the picture was the lady I saw a cross stitch lady on a magazine and used an outline of her then it just started to grow - I used an embossig tool to lightly indent the lines of what I envisaged in my head (not much else in there!) LOL and then designed the path and started the flower beds - the gas lights came about when I was reading my son a little golden book and I saw the lights in it mmmmmmmmm perfect so I drew an outline then scanned the image and shrunk it down to create a smaller version to look like it was in the distance. The basket of flowers in her arm was an afterthought as it just had her shoulder to elbow and I thought it looked odd so I made a basket by placing gladwrap over an artline texta with a circle traced from a 20c piece under the plastic to get the shape - let it dry and removed the plastic the began to fill it with tiny versions of the flowers in the garden. Still not happy with it decided to giver her a parasol as well I cut a half circle with some tabs to fold under so that when I bent it up I could adhere it to the matt then cover it in and inside is quilled too, Just seemed to finnish it off. BUT i had a small space in the sky between the tree that annoyed me so I then decided to put in the blue bird. Then I was Happy with it. The only thing I did that I would have changed and you'll get a giggle from this - I didn't use high fillin marquise shapes to put under all those leaves on the trees - that is leaves upon leaves upon leaves - I would hate to think how many actual leaves are in those two trees!!! TOOOOO many I assure you! LOL
But overall I was delighted with the end result. But between you and I - a pack of matches did seem appealing by the time I finnished it! It was a simple idea that evolved into major project time wise. She was made to enter in the Sydney show - first time entering. I was overjoyed that the hours were rewarded with a first place - was absolutely stoked with that.
But thankyou all for your interest in her.
Just to make a slight correction too - sorry - I am not from Sydney but from Albury - on the NSW and Victorian Border.
I think I may know Bronwyn if I am correct I received a card from you in a swap - orgainised by Marion Boyd - some many years ago now.....would be interested to hear if my memory is correct and it is you Bronwyn.
I have also posted a card in the gallery today too to share with you all......I am a total quilling addict - and hope they never find the cure --- quite happy with the disease I am! LOL
I look forward to getting to know you all and participating -
Thanks again - Take Care and
Happy Quilling
Cheers
Donna

quillable

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-07-24, 13:00

Thanks for that Donna, I must say that I did wonder about how you go the leaves on the trees with so much depth. I was just so speachless when I saw it I couldn't think of any questions. Congratulations on winning first place with her!
This is truly an awesome piece of art Exclamation
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-24, 13:30

Yes Donna - it is me the same Bronwyn.
I have your Home Sweet Home on my wall unit still.
Nice to catch up again. Cool

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-25, 00:09

Thank you so much Donna, you have given me the most amazing journey this week. When I got your photo in my inbox my jaw dropped for about 5 min while I studied it. I was quite ashamed to put up my lady in the window in the gallery which looks like kindergarten in comparison. I was never happy with it and ended up quickly finishing it rather than spending some more time to develop it. You have really taught me something this week about patience and technique.
Tell me how long have you been quilling? you must have tiny fingers for all the 1.5mm work!! how did you develop your quilling through the years? what inspires you?
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalnana on 2010-07-25, 05:18

Your work is absolutely amazing

Well one Kind regards new Member Pat

Crystalnana

Back to top Go down

Post by quillable on 2010-07-26, 05:01

Hi Karon
I think quilling is a wonderful medium as it gives each of us a unique way of using it - it never ceases to amaze me that from simple strips of paper you can create something unique and different just from changing the arrangement or pinched shape of the quilled paper - it is truly an ingenious art. I have been quilling now for 14 years and am a total quilling addict - could not imagine a day without it! LOL My inspiration comes from many things - I especially love gardening books - always buy some at the market cheap and have them on hand as you can truly find some interesting flowers in them, if you like floral quilling as I do, as you can usually addapt a picture to be a quilled one - some of the colours in the flowers are quite unique and interesting to try and make. I also love a sit called - docrafts.co.uk as it showcases a variety of cards and I especially like looking at the layering techniques they use.....Oh and Karon you would giggle if you saw my fingers --- they are by no means delicate - I have short stumpy fingers - so it beats me how I manage to quill so little pieces - have never thought of that before..... LOL I use to be a hairdresser so its better winding paper than hair and I now use my perm rods for quilling tools - love the little grips on the perm rods to turn means you can control it without slipping too!
I was self taught saw it on a lifestyle show than bought a book on it and my first quilling tool was made from one of my husbands port orford cedar arrows ---- SSSSHHHHH!!!! he still doesn't realise that even 14 years later he would have shot me for that one! LOL Use to be a cross stitcher before discovering quilling - now I am a quilling addict!
You said about inspiration - your challenge inspired me yesterday to finnish off a heart card that I had started a while back but had never finnished off so that was yesterdays project - have assebled it and will flower it today and hopefully get it posted tonight -
Well I have an appointment to get to now so will sign off
Hope everyone has a Great Day
Take Care and Happy Quilling
Cheers
Donna
quillable

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-29, 11:26

That's funny Donna, I cut some dowel for my topiary off my hubby's shed broom! the lengths us quilling addicts will go to!! lol! Don't forget to put this pic into the gallery too so others can see it on a more permanent basis as the posts move down the line and any other pics you have there too.
I heard from a lady who saw this master piece of yours in the show case at the show. I hear that only selected exceptional pieces got into this show case and not all show winners get that privilege. She mentioned that people were standing around thinking it was a painting, your work was so fine and detailed they didn't even realise it was paper!! how about that!! what a compliment

Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top