Creative Quilling Forum

Hi from a newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from a newbie

Post by Philippa on 2010-07-29, 11:46

Hello everyone - I am so excited to have found this forum, and joined up yesterday. I am really looking forward to getting involved.

My name is Philippa, I live in southern England, and have been quilling for four years now. My passion is quilling on to photographic backgrounds (mainly for designing and creating cards), and I also like to make jewellery and paperweights with quilling inside. I belong to a small market co-operative in my village, and sell my crafts there every Friday morning. I also sell cards in a local cafe, and am getting to be quite well known for card-making among my neighbours and fellow members of the Women's Institute, which is great! I just love quilling, and have found it to be a most wonderful creative activity since I retired from full-time work. I've got into photography, too, and take my camera with me everywhere I go - I'm always spotting shots that would make great backgrounds for my quilled cards.

I have just one question about the forum: what does it mean when a member has 'points' allocated to them in their profile statistics? Perhaps someone could enlighten me about this, because I have never participated in a forum before.

Well, that's all for now - I look forward to getting to know everyone in the days ahead.

Philippa

Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from a newbie

Post by admin on 2010-07-29, 12:51

Welcome Phillipa!!
Great to see you here and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I am so looking forward to seeing your work and bouncing ideas to and fro. Your jewellery sounds interesting as does your paper weights. Do you have them sealed in glass or quill on top?
The points are just how active you are on the forum and don't really mean that much. As the forum program is pretty set, I am unable to remove the feature but you can get an idea as to how much a person participates on the forum as the points come up for commenting and if someone likes what you said they click on the plus and this also adds points.
Hope that helps
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-07-29, 14:08

Thanks very much for your warm welcome, Karon!

My quilled paperweights are made using the technique of clear resin casting. Basically, you pour some clear resin into a mould, wait for it to set, then place a quilled motif on top (upside-down). Then you fill up the top half of the mould with more resin and leave it to dry for a few days before turning it out. I will try and post a couple of photos in the gallery so you can see. It's fun to do, and when you use a dome-shaped mould you get lots of reflections inside so the actual quilling appears magnified!

I got into resin casting because of the difficulty of sourcing pre-moulded paperweights with a gap inside to accommodate quilling - I simply couldn't find a supplier here in the UK. However, I like a challenge!

When it comes to jewellery, I've also got into making quilled decorations for watch faces which makes a change from the usual pendants and earrings. There are lots of examples on my blog, Quilliance at http://quilliance.blogspot.com which all forum members are most welcome to visit.

Anyway, I'll see how I get on with posting some photos now ... thanks again!
Philippa
Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-07-29, 15:31

Love your blog and all of the quilling there. Your quilling to match your photographs is absolutely amazing.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-07-29, 16:04

Your work is amazing and very unique. You have a real eye for what you are doing combining the photographic art with the quilling. I have seen a little of that done but not to the degree yours is. It is very professional and I think if you want to, you can go a long way with it.
I always wanted to get some quilling work set into one of those toilet seats. Sounds weird I know but over here they are called "loo with a view" and the resin seats have all sorts of themes to them whether floral, spiders or sea. A custom made one though is about $300 but you could do just about anything! I know many here look for coasters and the like to quill into but you could make yours with a twist. It would be interesting to look some more at this resin moulding. Did you have problems applying it to paper?
You will have to put your work (pics) in the gallery here too so more can see it on a regular basis and don't forget to put your blog addy on you profile so others can find it from here too. Although we have a membership of almost 200, there are a great number of people visiting the site on a regular basis just reading and looking at the information left. Thanks so much for sharing, it is 11pm here so I will come back in the morning and really have a good look at your blog again tomorrow. I love seeing everyone's work and all the new techniques!!
happy quilling
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-07-29, 16:58

Thanks, Karon! I'll try and put together a new post giving more info about the resin casting. It would be great to do a loo seat, but I'm not sure where you would be able to buy a suitable mould!!

Meanwhile I've posted a couple of things to the July Challenge, which I think is a lovely idea. It will be fascinating to see all the different entries.

It's time for me to go and do some quilling now ...
Philippa
Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-07-29, 19:06

Just checked out your blog, it took me awhile but really enjoyed it. It's great!
Paula flower
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-07-29, 23:23

Welcome (fellow blogger) Phillipa,
It is good you have your market outlet for your quilled items, and the cafe.
I mainly sell by word of mouth at the moment, to people at church. Sometimes the money goes to our fundraising efforts but if people order privately then I retain the proceeds.
I am also considering going to a Christmas market.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-07-30, 08:58

hi welcome you-ll enjoy it here you have an interesting style
miriam Smile
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by bZb on 2010-07-30, 09:16

Welcome to the forum Philipa!

Your work is good, I like the way that you incorporate the photos with your quilling. It is very different!

Your resin castings sound good too. I have considered trying it but would have to find somewhere to order the resin and moulds from, but haven't yet worried about doing it. It does sound fun though.

Hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing more of your work posted on here.
bZb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-07-30, 09:33

Welcome Philipa.

I have done a little work with resins but not castings and look forward to learning more from you about it.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-07-30, 18:44

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome!

Heather, Paula and Miriam - I am very pleased to meet you!

Miriam - so nice to meet up with someone from Malta, where I have spent many happy holidays in the past. It's been a while now, but I have great memories of your lovely island!

Bronwyn - I enjoy following your blog, and it's great to see you here.

bZb and Jocelyneliza - I'm hoping to put together a post about the resin casting very soon, thanks so much for your interest.

Happy quilling to you all!
Philippa

Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-07-31, 10:29

Nice to know you-ve been to malta philippa. How long have it been since you -ve been to malta now? I live near the malta international airport where have you stayed when you where here?
miriam Smile
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top