Creative Quilling Forum

Is there a "right" and "wrong" side of a strip.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is there a "right" and "wrong" side of a strip.

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-08-01, 12:36

Because I roll on the forefinger of my left hand I always had small cuts through the top layer of the skin on the top of my finger.

I realised strips are not flat but ever so slightly concave and have one smooth side and the other has sharp edges because the stack of paper has been guillotined. Now I always feel the strip before I roll and put the smooth side against my finger.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there a "right" and "wrong" side of a strip.

Post by Heather on 2010-09-07, 19:06

Apparently there is a right and a wrong side to the strips. I never really noticed this before but I saw this explained on another site. When the strips are cut with the paper cutter, the edge of the strip is pressed downwards. The underside of the strip is pressed upwards. The right side of the strip to use with quilling is the front where the edge is pressed downwards. You should prepare your strip by running your thumb or your quilling tool against the backside of the strip to start the paper curling in the right direction.

I learned something new today! Thanks for asking the question. My eyesight isn't good enough to see the difference so I doubt I will be too concerned about this but it is good to know. I suppose it is especially important if you plan to enter your work in competitions.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyPinkEmo on 2011-06-18, 21:16

It seems so. I figured this out when quilling one of my massive projects, however, it was not only on the flat sides but also on the edges that had a "right" side. I noticed this because I was making a chess set which consisted of many solid tight rolls. I noticed that one side was always shinier and smoother than the other, and if I accidentally attached two pieces to make one big roll but had the edges opposite, the inside would be shinier than the outside or vice versa.

In the end I don't really think it matters though, it's so little and unnoticeable. People are unlikely to notice it.

HappyPinkEmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top