Creative Quilling Forum

Jocelyn's info on sealing and preserving you work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jocelyn's info on sealing and preserving you work

Post by admin on 2010-08-06, 01:17

This is a thread that I have copied the main information to keep in this section on sealing work. Much of the research has been provided by Jocelyn so I am sure you will get a lot out of it.

On the Yahoo Quillers Group there was a stream awhile ago on using sealants. Most of the members are from the U.S.A. and "polyurethane" (sorry may not be spelled correctly) and "DecoArt Triple Thick Glaze" were recommended.

I have researched the DecoArt product on the net and found it to be available in Australia with references for use on polymer clay, paper tole, beading, papier mache and decoupage so think it may be useful for quilling. It does not seem to be a particularly cheap product ($22.00) but is advertised as one application is like doing 3 coats.

I found the spray can in gloss available from:

www.craft.com.au

More info from this thread....

You can get a spray by Boyle, an Aussie company, just called Gloss Spray. I bought it at Spotlight

Plaid varnish at Birch haberdashery stores
Birch online store link

Spotlight sells Birch products and I have bought the Plaid varnish there

Product Description:
Triple Thick Gloss Glaze is ideal for adding a glazed ceramic look to a variety of hard craft surfaces. Because it is extra-thick, only one coat is needed for most surfaces.
Painting Surfaces:

* Wood
* Wicker
* Plaster
* Papier mache
* Resins
* Painted china
* Pre-primed metal
* Pinecones
* Jewelry
* Bisque
* Artificial Flowers

Features and Advantages:

* Goes on smoothly with no stroke marks
* Finish adds the illusion of depth
* Creates a glazed ceramic look
* Dries quickly
* Finish resist cracking
* Brushable product is non-toxic

Additional Decorating Ideas/Applications:

* Ideal for holiday projects
* Great for decoupage
* Use on wreaths and floral arrangements

Went in Spotlight had quite a few including Birch Classic Gloss, Plaid, Folk Art and one called Krylon which I had seen on the net

a product from Selleys, Selleys Water Shield it was about $12.00

to use a spray, put the items in a box for the spraying

I line the box with foil and hang the pieces on wire which I place half way down the long side of the box. By putting the wires halfways down the box I am able to turn the box over and spray the other side without touching the item. Also spraying in the box uses less product as the spray that misses the items bounce off the foil and onto the item from the back and sides so when I turn the items and spray the second side it is just a quick light burst.

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top