Creative Quilling Forum

Some beginners basics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some beginners basics

Post by admin on 2010-08-07, 11:19

1. Do you have the dreaded glue pants disease like I once did? Instead of wiping your fingers on your pants keep either a wet washer or wipes on hand to keep your fingers clean and rectify any accidents quickly. It will save your clothes, your quilling and your sanity. You can even sit it in a small dish to keep it from bumping anything it shouldn't

2. rule of thumb for reducing the size of your strips. If you can see it, cut it, if you can't, tear it. Tearing your strips makes a feathered affect where the fibres cling to the strip when they are glued making it less visible.

3. Slotted tools are often the easiest to use. If you use a quilling needle, try dampening the end of your strips so it clings better to the needle tool

4. Be sparing with your glue. Any extra glue is seen by the viewer and is accentuated by a camera

5. for a tight coil, glue the end of the strip before you dismount your coil, it is so much easier and less likely to get away from you

6.for a tight center, mount your strip and turn once. Put the smallest spot of glue in the middle of the strip and continue rolling. When you are finished the center won't relax with the rest of the strip

7. If the paper is coated or metallic, give the glue extra time to set or use tacky for a more secure adhesion

8. If you are fringing by hand and need a lot of flowers, try stacking your strips on top of one another and doing 3 or 4 at once to save time. Insure a firm hold that your strips are in place

9.If you are using a quilling coil board to get uniform sized coils, after your coil has relaxed glue the end before you take it out of the guide hole so it stays the same size

10. When fringing your paper by scissors, insure they are fine tip so they don't tear the strip with the end of the scissors leaving an untidy jagged tear at the gutter of your strip

11. If your quilled shapes stick to the surface of your work space, carefully work your needle tool under it to loosen it.

12. If you need a longer strip of paper than what you have, tear the ends of two strips and glue them together to make one long strip.

13. If you need to post your work you can use some clean foam trays and fold in half to make a clam

14. The more narrow the paper, the more delicate the finish of your project

15.Try to put the seam of the paper to match up where you will be gluing another piece so you can hide the seams as best as possible giving a more neater appearance. flower
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Some beginners basics

Post by Heather on 2010-08-07, 16:13

Great hints! I have to laugh about the glue on my pants....how did you know???
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by miapet on 2010-10-23, 06:04

Another method I use for fringing by hand is to fold the strip in half and then half again. Cuts cutting time in quarter.

Pauline (Miapet)

miapet

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-10-25, 11:38

Great idea Pauline, you can also fringe 3 or 4 strips at once to cut your time down too!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn on 2011-01-20, 10:02

When gluing your pieces together, put a piece of plastic underneath your work and it prevents it from sticking

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2011-01-28, 05:48

I use a teflon (applique) mat when I am quilling. I can put a dab of glue on it and dip a toothpick into the glue and then assemble my pieces on the mat. When the glue is dry the assembled pieces and any dried glue just lifts off leaving a clean mat for the next project. The mat is also see through so you can place a drawn design under it when you are assembling your pieces. The mats are available from sewing stores and last for years.
Carole

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-01-28, 08:32

Ooooh..I'm going to look for one of those...I'm tired of fighting wax paper...thanks Carole....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-02-10, 01:41

Well, I found it!! Here it's called "Teflon Pressing Sheet", took me awhile to find one, but I got it and I'm going to try it today!
Thanks again Carole! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by love quilling on 2011-05-23, 21:07

awesome...lots of great tips!

love quilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top