Creative Quilling Forum

Controlling your glue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Controlling your glue

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2010-08-15, 09:20

There are several well used methods to apply glue to the back of your quilled pieces.

One method is to apply the glue using a small paintbrush. Using a glue thinned down with a little water works best and you have to be careful that the glue only touches the bottom of the piece. I find this is quite a good method for a very large piece as the watered down glue takes a little longer to dry so you will have time to put glue all the piece before the glue starts to dry.

Another method is to smear a very thin layer of glue onto a flat surface and, using your tweezers to hold the piece, dab lightly into the glue and transfer it to the card or board you are using. The danger here is if the glue is smeared too thick some of the glue may go up the side of your quilling and will be seen on the finished design. Practice makes perfect and this method can really work well but takes quite a bit of control when placing the design onto the card or board. Again you may also like to thin the glue down a little with water.

The main problem we all have is putting a piece down and, if it is not in the exact place and if we move it, the glue will show on the card. You can overcome this by only applying the glue ,with a toothpick or long pin , to the centre of the design and to the centre only of the coils on the outer edges of your design. In this way, after you have placed the piece you can still move it a few millimetres and the glue is not going to be seen on the card. Of course loose scrolls can be the most difficult and I tend to add them after I have glued the piece down.

You can use a toothpick to apply the glue. I prefer to use a long pin, put a very small dot of glue down and then roll the pin on its side through the glue and across the bottom edge of the coil.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controlling your glue

Post by toothfairy on 2010-08-19, 09:29

Smeary glue is always a problem! I find that if the glue is not dry and you've got a small smear, a clean tipped toothpick can remove the glue nicely (but be gentle, otherwise you get marks on the card/paper). Sometimes if there is alot of glue I use a very fine tipped paintbrush dipped in a bit of water (but it can't be waterlogged, just damp) and gently brush the glue away, and pat dry with a cotton bud (if there is enough space). A bit time consuming this bit, but only for big messes. =)

toothfairy

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-09-27, 01:56

I have a different method! I just put a little on a toothpick, and rub it, in a nice light layer. I have done it SO much, that it looks fine, and I also suppose that with the extensive amount of coils I use in my projects, you can't even tell if there are any minor imperfections!

quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn on 2011-01-20, 09:56

Thanks you for the glue tips

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Applying glue

Post by janedev on 2013-09-01, 02:00

Hello everyone
I am new to this site so if my idea has already been posted then I apologize.
I use an empty ink bottle to apply my glue. The needle is very fine and firm making it extremely easy to use. I must warn you though make sure you clean all parts especially the rubber cap.Also the first few times you use it dispense the glue onto a piece of scrap paper,you will be surprised that even with all your cleaning, that a little bit of ink may still remain.The following is a link to a picture showing the type that I use.Sorry its the only image I could find its the bottle of black ink to the top right of the pic.

janedev

Back to top Go down

Post by janedev on 2013-09-05, 01:24

Just a quick update to my post about the used ink refill container. I just went to fill my black ink with the product I mentioned, and was surprised to see that this one (even though its the exact same brand that I always Use)didn't have a metal tip but rather a long plastic one. I have never tried one of these but I really don't believe that you would get the same control, nor would you be able to gently push this type of tip into some of the tiny nooks and crannies that our quiling projects have.As I said I haven't tried it so I may be wrong. Thank-you!

janedev

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum