Creative Quilling Forum

Members book reviews, advice and preferences

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Members book reviews, advice and preferences

Post by admin on 2010-08-18, 20:39

Hi all,
Just getting a post going here for all to share their preferences and findings on quilling books available on the market.
Do you like ebooks or prefer to have a hard copy right there? What have you found to be of benefit as you started learning or what didn't you? Can you suggest books for different stages of quilling either beginners, intermediate or advanced? Lets hear what you think!! study

Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Members book reviews, advice and preferences

Post by Philippa on 2010-08-19, 17:12

I much prefer to have hard copy books which I can have open on the table and refer to while I am quilling.

My current favourites for use as a source of inspiration are:
1) 'Twirled Paper' by Jacqueline Lee (published by Klutz) - it's written for children, but full of useful ideas, and
2) 'Thrilling Quilling' by Elizabeth Moad (published by David & Charles) which is also an excellent 'sourcebook'.

For beginners, I'd recommend 'Quilled Borders and Motifs' by Judy Cardinal (Search Press) which contains lots of lovely projects, and explains all the basics very well. The only downside is that it doesn't cover the specific (and very useful) technique of alternate side looping using pins and a cork board; however, Jane Jenkins' 'Quilling Techniques and Inspiration' has a good chapter on this.
Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-08-20, 04:09

Thank you Phillippa. I was lucky today on ebay and bought Thrilling Quilling and Jane Jenkins book Quilling Techniques and Inspiration as well. Our library in my city doesn't have any quilling books to borrow. Just a few books with a couple of pages on basic quilling. I am always thrilled to get new books so in a couple of weeks I will be receiving some happy mail.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-08-20, 09:06

One of my favourite books most recently published is "New Concepts in Paper Quilling" by Marie Browning.
As well as the basics, it covers making envelopes,cards and doing lettering. It has alot of nice projects ranging from simple cards to jewellery and gift ideas. She uses modern embellishments that scrap booking has made easier to find such as ink pads, rhinestones, stickers and brads.
There is only 1 card idea for a man.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-08-21, 20:24

Well I finally found where I had put my quilling books so I will share a few reviews too.

50 Nifty Quilled Cards by alli Bartkowski is a great book for beginner quillers and for those that want to make quick greeting cards. Her patterns are pretty simple but she has some great ideas for her cards. The book has 128 pages. Except for the card ideas, an experienced quiller probably has made a lot of the patterns. Lark Books is the publisher.

Most of my quilling lands on cards and I was really impressed with a book called Quilled Greeting cards by Diane Crane. There aren't a lot of card examples in comparison to the book above but she took my quilling to a whole new level. I would say this book is more for intermediate quillers. I love her Rambling Rose fence and archway patterns and the flower girl patterns. Making cards with her ideas takes a lot more time but the cards I have made with her ideas were very special. I only wish I had taken pictures of them before giving them away. Tissue paper is used in some of her patterns. This book is 48 pages and Search Press is the Publisher.

Another book I have by Diane Crane is Miniature Quilling. Again it is 48 pages and mainly shows how to make different leaves, chocolates that look like they are real and can be eaten and beautiful fairies, some made into cards. There are a few flowers and butterflies shown in this book as well. Again she uses her imagination and shows us some different ideas for quilling other than the normal things you find. This book is published by Search Press and I would classify it for intermediate quillers as well.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-08-21, 20:45

Diane Crane's books sound interesting, Heather, and I'm sure you'll absolutely love 'Thrilling Quilling' when it arrives!
Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-08-25, 01:43

Here are some books that might interest you
The Book of Quilling Techniques &projects for paper Filigree (by Malinda Johnston) it has a little of everything flowers, cards,frame pics,jewlery, 3D.

A Guide to quilling Flowers By Helen Walter
Of course all sorts of flowers.

Beautiful Quilling Step-By-Step
Also has a little of everything.

Quilled Greeting Cards by (Diane Crane)
It has some really cute designs.

Quilled Borders & Motifs By (Judy Cardinal)
really cute ones

50 Nifty Quilled Cards By (Alli Bartkowski)
Really good one for those who love to make cards and tags
Imagination goes on and on.
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-08-25, 04:13

I love Malinds'a book, Paula.

Quill Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-08-28, 16:51

Philippa, I just had to tell you that I did receive the book you recommended "Quilling Techniques and Inspiration" and found it to be a really good book well worth purchasing. Thank you for suggesting it.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-08-28, 19:15

Heather, I also have that book and it's a good one to have
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-09-01, 00:20

Any book by Jean Woolston Hamey is a feast for the eyes and I have not done nearly half the things I want to from her books.
Her precision in all her designs and in capturing the essence of the Australian bush is amazing.

Quill Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Saranson on 2010-09-01, 11:46

I prefer to have hard copy books as well. I often would take one of my quilling books with me to work to have a flick through when having my lunch.

My first quilling book was Twirled Paper by Jacqueline Lee and even though I own a lot more books now, would always refer back to it - I love to use the ideas in this book for children's cards. What fascinates me about all of the books is that each author has a slightly different technique on how to quill. Elizabeth Moad's 'Thrilling Quilling' was really interesting to me - how she attached little petals or leaves to the strip before she quilled.

Saranson

Back to top Go down

Post by Saranson on 2010-09-01, 12:13

Just thought you might be interested to know - I just spotted on Amazon that Elizabeth Moad has a book called 'Christmas Quilling'.

Saranson

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-09-01, 13:03

Oh Ah! Christmas Quilling - thanks Sarah. maybe I will have to put in a request to Santa

Quill Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-04, 15:28

Magic Quilling #9

I just had a great mail day! I won an auction for a job lot of quilling stuff from an estate sale. There were 5 books/magazines in this auction. This 63 page magazine was very impressive with great instructions for different flowers I have never seen, lovely patterns for framing, Christmas ornaments, 3D projects, and miniatures. Some of these projects, I recognized were made into kits at one time. This magazine was a wonderful find and now I am in a search for the other magazines since I know there must be at least 8 more.

The books/magazines I won were all dated from 1972-1983 and this one is the 1983 one. It was printed in France but is in English and distributed by the Flynt Distributing Company in the U.S.A. I have done a google search and so far haven't come up with a lead on finding the other magazines. Can anyone help locate them for me? Does anyone else have any of these magazines? How did you like them if you have them?

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-05, 00:47

Congrats Heather, what a find!! I got one off ebay a month ago that isfrom 1974 entitled Quilling and paper filigree for all ages. It has in the instructions a quilling coach which they called back then a "quilling quiky" which had a slotted piece permanently inserted into the coach and a stem of about 1 inch that you turn. The coil guide also had numbered guides and were set in a circular grid. I will add some pics shortly so you can see it
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-05, 02:57

Okay here are some scaned pages for you to see a quilling book from 1974 by Hazel Pearson. It was interesting to note on other pages she coloured her strips with a texta. Also her pins were a T shape and I thought you might be interested in the egg one since there has been some banter about molds
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-05, 03:33

Very interesting,thanks for sharing!
Paula flower
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-05, 04:49

This book is on ebay now and the auction has four more days if anyone wants this book. I saw that book earlier today but I have tons of inspiration from the books I got the other day and I still am waiting for my Thrilling Quilling one to arrive.

I love her jewelry examples too. I have no idea what a texta is that she used to colour her strips. I do have one of those blue forms for the circles but prefer the quilling boards with the cork backing but it didn't come with the Quill quicky winding thing. Another ebay purchase of mine that I don't use.

I am interested in doing something similar with a mold making Christmas ornaments so thank you for sharing this. It looks pretty easy to adapt it to the mold shapes if I find them.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-05, 05:30

Also do consider fishpond books when you are looking at amazon here in Australia. Reason being is that it may seem cheaper at the time for the book but once you hit check out and pick yourself up off the floor when you see the postage prices, you may find this a much much cheaper option.
Their books are often around 30% cheaper than retail prices and orders over $50 post free (books are so heavy and costly to post whether ebay or amazon).
For instance Thrilling quilling is RRP $40.99 but they sell it for $27.97 + $5 postage under $50 or if you buy Paper twirling (one of my favourites) with this book you get it for $51.94 and free postage
fishpond books link to thrilling quilling and you get a free $5 voucher for any subsequent order.
Now I find thrilling quilling on amazon that will ship internationally for $19.47AUD (converted from USD of $17.24) but the postage was $18.14 so the book price went through the roof with the postage to $37.61
I hope this is helpful to any wanting to buy books and saves you some dollars
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-14, 23:03

I finally got my Thrilling Quilling book today and agree that it is a good book especially for beginners or those wanting a quick project. It really does have some very cute ideas.

In the same ebay auction I received the book The Art of Paper Quilling by Claire Sun-ok Choi. This book is very detailed yet simple to follow. 45 different quilling shapes are shown. The instructions are very easy to follow and this book has 128 pages explaining everything for the beginner quiller right on up to advanced projects. Her work is magnificent. Patterns are included for some of her projects that can be given as gifts.

I am extremely happy with both of these books. You may not see me online for awhile.....I may be busy quilling.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-15, 16:37

This is a book that I am not really happy getting. The Art of Quilling by Trees Tra and Peter van der Wolk. If I had paid full price for it, I would be disappointed. The cover is quality glossy paper which makes this book attractive to a purchaser but the inside 48 pages leave a bit to be desired. Here is why.....the photos are done at such an angle that it is really hard to tell in some cases what shapes are used in some of the pictures. The descriptions are not complete in some cases....for instance the beautiful butterfly with the 3 colours in the wing shape...they tell the total length of the strip to use, but they don't break it down to tell what length for each colour that is used. To conserve space, they put a number of the charts together telling the number of coils, length and coil types which means the reader has to do a bit of searching. Instead of telling you the name of the coil type, they give you the number of the coil in their beginning instructions so you have to go back pages to find out what coil matches the number. They include a few paper strips that would complete a couple of small projects.

Their basic instructions are as good as other books so if this was my only book, I would be happy but it fails in comparison to others.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-09-16, 10:03

Elizabeth Moad, author of 'Thrilling Quilling' has just brought out a new book called 'Christmas Quilling', which received a very positive review by Ann Martin of All Things Paper. I ordered a copy from Amazon UK last night, and will let everyone know what it's like when it arrives.
Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-17, 03:49

Fabulous Philippa, that would be great to know. I have a list of books available. If anyone else can add to this list so we can see a nice comprehensive list of books available to quillers that would be excellent. If you also have a best price and places to obtain these books can you add this (link) also along with your review of what you thought of the book/s and differences you found between others you have. I know we all have preferences but there are often books we all have that are great all rounders just like Thrilling Quilling. This is really helpful whether quilling a long time or not if you want to add to your library or just learn something new, it is great to know other peoples experiences and feelings on these books, perhaps we could also do a poll soon on preferences? what do you think?

The art of paper quilling
Quilled Borders and Motifs
Decorative Quilling
The Book of Paper Quilling: Techniques and Projects for Paper Filigree
Paper Quilling for the First Time
Three-dimensional Quilling
Popular Quilling (Milner Craft Series)
50 Nifty Quilled Cards
Thrilling Quilling
Quilling: Techniques and Inspiration
Paper Quilling (The weekend crafter)
Quill It Easy
Quilling for Beginners
Quilling Australian Native Flowers
Quilling Beauties of the Bush
Quilling: Desert Flowers
New Concepts in Paper Quilling: Techniques for Cards and Gifts
Miniature Quilling
The Craft of Quilling
Quilled Greetings Cards (Handmade Greeting Cards S.)
Quill it easy
Beautiful Quilling Step-by-Step
Quilled Wild Flowers
Practical Quilling
A Guide to Quilling Flowers
Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything with Simple Paper Strips (Klutz S.)
A Guide to Endangered Flora in Quilling (Milner Craft Series)
The New Paper Quilling: Creative Techniques for Scrapbooks, Cards, Home Accents and More
Quilling for Scrapbooks & Cards

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-23, 02:22

Concepts in Quillery by Betty Meisenbach

This is a 32 page booklet copyright by Cunningham Art Products Inc in 1974. The basic quilling instructions show only some of the shapes that are found in other books and the author shows how to quill with a corsage pin. There have, of course been further advances since this was published. There are 8 original patterns to this book along with some extra pictures. I am particularly impressed with 5 of the designs - the Basket of Flowers has a different way of making the basket, Berry Time has a wonderful way of making the quilled bowl and when I look at this I imagine a crystal bowl. Figi Mums and the Romantic Nosegay are beautiful patterns and the Filigree Border pattern is truly spectacular. The patterns are way too large for a card but you can take bits and pieces of the patterns to fit a smaller project like a card. There are also instructions on quilling letters and decorating eggs for those interested in making signs or ornaments.

The author does beautiful work with stencils.

This was an ebay auction, I won so I got this at a decent price. It is one of my better finds in bookets on quilling. Any beginner or intermediate quiller would benefit from this booklet.

Amazon.com has 2 copies of this booklet for anyone interested.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top