Creative Quilling Forum

Quilling Australian Native Flora

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quilling Australian Native Flora

Post by hansie2809 on 2010-01-11, 12:54

Hi all,

My name is Hannah and I am new to the forum. I, like others, am very excited that we have an Aussie site where we can promote and share this beautiful craft.

I have not been quilling very long, about 2 years on and off. I first became interested in quilling when I watched a demonstration by Card Craft (www.quilling.com.au) at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney. Since then I have become extremely keen in quillling Australian native flora. I found a fantastic book called, "Delight in Australian Native Flowers with Quilling and Paper Sculpture" by Carolyn Rakowski. I have made many of the designs in this book and am now looking for some new designs.

Does anyone know of any other good Aussie native flora quilling books or designs?

I look forward to seeing everyone's quilling and sharing ideas.

Cheers
Hannah

hansie2809

Back to top Go down

Yes, I do

Post by admin on 2010-01-11, 14:38

Welcome hannah,
I have a beautiful burmese cat with that name and she has the best seat in the house.
I know of a few books that can help you. One is a book quilling western Australia flowers by Helen Walter. The other lady I would recommend is Jean Woolston-Hamey. She is based in Coffs Harbour and has written 4 books, one comes to mind Australian native flowers. Now you can contact her directly and as far as I am aware she also has workshops if you are anywhere in that vicinity, but back to the books you can order from her directly. Another place I would recommend to shop for quilling books is fishpond. Orders over $50 are shipped free, under is $5 and the books are really cheap. They have 20% off some of the quilling books at the moment including that one. Here is the link

Australian native flowers by Jean Woolston-hamey

you can contact her directly on info@carobana.com.au

I hope this helps, I think Fishpond have about 20 quilling books
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Quilling Australian Native Flora

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-01-12, 23:02

G'day Hannah
Welcome to the forum, would like to ask what do you like about quilling natives??? And post some pictures !!! Very Happy
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-01-12, 23:35

Hi Hannah,
I love Carolyn's book too.
Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hansie2809 on 2010-01-30, 01:36

Hi all,

I have always loved Australian native plants in the garden, some of my favourites are Wattle, flowering gums, the Waratah (which I had never seen in the wild until I moved to Sydney!) and I absolutely adore Kangaroo Paws. I grew up in a country area and I guess developed an interest in the Aussie bush.

I also like quilling natives because I am not very imaginative and I find it easier to make something when I know what it should look like!

Jean Wollsten-Hamey is also a fantastic author, and I have made some of her designs as well. I had no idea that she was a Coffs Harbour resident - my Grandparents live in Coffs Harbour and I will be sure to visit Carobana when I am next in Coffs!!

You asked about seeing what I have made - is it ok to post pictures of what I have done if it is not my design? Of course I would reference where the design came from.

Thanks everyone,
Hannah

hansie2809

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-01-30, 02:55

Hi Hannah,
You will be pleased to know that Jean is hoping to pop along this weekend and post some info about herself, her books and her life of quilling. She has been flat stick with her carobana business but is very excited about being part of the forum. It would be a great chance to ask her about the native flora and get some background on her life.

I can't wait to hear all about her, she is a lovely lady and quilling legend here in Australia!
Karon
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top