Creative Quilling Forum

Claire Sun-ok Choi's website

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Claire Sun-ok Choi's website

Post by Heather on 2010-09-18, 06:13

Thanks to Karon's youtube link that she posted in another thread, I watched the good video on using the needle tool for rolling. At the end was Claire's website, so I thought I would explore. WOW what a find. Her flowers are exquisite. The site is in Korean but right at the top under the pictures is a spot to click on and the page gets translated to English. Her punched flowers are amazing but explore further into the quilling that she has done. I am overwhelmed right now with her beautiful work. She has great tutorials on how to make her beautiful flowers too.

Here is the site.
Claire's Website

Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: Claire Sun-ok Choi's website

Post by admin on 2010-09-18, 06:40

Yes she has some amazing stuff and her book also
The Art of Paper Quilling: Designing Handcrafted Gifts and Cards
Which is compact and full quilled projects plus she has a card making one she has done with 2 other authors
The Art of Card Making

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-18, 09:09

Karon have you seen her card making book? Is there enough quilling in there to make it worth buying? I love the first book of hers that you mention but is a lot of it repeated in the card making book? I am a scrapbooker and stamper already.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-18, 17:07

HI Heather,
I have tried to get it but can't as it is out of stock here for a while. There are 3 authors to the book Claire Sun-Ok Choi, Lisa Kerr, Rice Freeman-Zachery, Susan Jaworski-Stranc so I dare say it would have a lot in it that is not her work but they other ladies contribution. For us from Australia to order off Amazon is very expensive postage wise and most sellers don't do international so the best option over here is Fishpond books who are just starting to go into second hand. I did however find something for you!! Second hand off ebay USA is Book link
for only $4.92USD. At that price it would be worth grabbing then you can give us a run down. I will keep an eye out over here to see if it comes avail here as I wouldn't mind grabbing it.
This is a little information about the book that I found off fishpond books here which also touches on Claire. Funny how close she is to you now!!!
Review from Fishpond books
With a focus on simple, elegant projects, "The Art of Paper Quilling" offers paper crafters a complete technique guide along with step-by-step project ideas for making beautiful framed pieces, cards, gifts and more. The designs are all built upon simple rolled coils of paper that when grouped together, form intricate flowers, graceful butterflies, and delicate scrollwork. Quilled designs can be framed or used to embellish greeting cards, books and journals, and many types of simple paper structures. Claire Sun-ok Choi is an expert paper artist who has influenced the revival of this fanciful art form with her inspiring exhibits and internationally known books.

About the Author

The Author Claire was born in South Korea, where she worked as a quilling paper craft instructor at Hyundai Culture Centre and the Education Centre for the Quilling Paper Craft Association for five years. She has had solo exhibits in New York and London, and she is currently living and studying in Vancouver, Canada.

Heather there is also this information on her website talking about her card book
Claire's book blog link
I hope that helps
Karon

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-18, 23:00

I saw that ebay auction last night and considered it. The seller advertises some books that he doesn't have but this auction states that there are two of them so hopefully he still has one of them available. When I looked at Claire's website, it looks like there are a lot of examples that aren't quilling but the book still might be useful for me. I've also been teaching techniques with stamping and scrapbooking for a few years now so I may know most of what is in this book. Still it will be fun to go through it. Shipping to Canada is three times as expensive as the cost of the book but still cheaper than some of the other auctions for it. I don't mind used books when the price is so much less.

I grabbed this book today and will review it when it comes.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-19, 07:05

Hi Heather
My goodness 3 times dearer, I didn't realise. I suppose some sellers like to make a bit on the postage. There is also a few through Amazon, not sure if it is the same with their postage but theirs start from $4.69 Amazon link second hand
Hope that helps
Karon

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kaysey60 on 2010-09-20, 08:24

Hi Everyone,
Wow, after reading what everyone had said about Claire Sun-Ok Choi I decided to go and have a look for myself WOW WOW her work is fabulous, and as Heather said her flowers are exquisite I couldn't stop looking at them, and she is good enough to have a tutorial on how to make them, gosh if only.
Anyway thanks for all your information had you not been talking about her and her work I would never of known and would of missed out on seeing a true master at work.
Kindest regards,
Kaye.

kaysey60

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-20, 09:56

Hi Kaye
Yes, its fabulous. I especially like her tutorial as it shows clearly how to use a needle tool and especially in combination with her tweezers to make it easier and handle the coils. It is a nice change from seeing the slotted tool in use.
Karon

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Claire Sun-ok Choi Author

Post by admin on 2010-09-23, 20:13

Hi Everyone,
I had a couple of emails from Claire in response the interest here on the forum for her books. She has conveyed some information to pass on for you! Karon
Hi
I am really happy that you like my work. My blog has many new techniques and projects.I am always trying to let quillers know how to save time and reduce frustration when they use small materials. As you know I have been living in Vancouver, Canada but now I am visiting Seoul, Korea until 2, November 2010.

If I have a chance to visit Australia, while I am staying here, I will be happy.

Many thanks,

I am sending some pictures.

Enjoy~

Claire

As you know Claire's books are full of information but we have the added bonus of her youtube tutorials which are so helpful especially for those who learn more from being shown visually with a total of 14 video clips

Claire's you tube video links x 14

The above link will give you the full range of clips to choose from and it is amazing that something as simple as folding a rose which we usually see with a tool here is being done by hand! Learning new techniques is fabulous since we all enjoy trying something new and finding other ways we may even find easier or helpful for others as they find their quilling fingers.
Some more pictures Claire has passed on:

I hope you enjoy this little prelude to the book reviews from Claire that will follow shortly and if you haven't visited Claire's blog, it will be well worth your while as her work is truly impressive and inspiring.

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-09-24, 09:52

Thanks Karon
I look forward to checking out the video links

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2010-09-24, 15:52