Creative Quilling Forum

An experiment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An experiment

Post by Heather on 2010-09-21, 07:45

Philippa's paper weights gave me some inspiration. My sister had been making some necklaces using the flat pieces of glass that look like flattened marbles usually found in dollar stores to be put in flower vases as decorations. She had been gluing cut out pictures of cats on the back on the flat side of the clear glass stone, adding some glitter (to hide the bail-jewelry finding) and then a glue-on bail. Because the stones are convex, it magnifies the picture.

I wondered if this would work for quilling. I did some simple flowers using the thinest strips 1/5mm or 1/16 inch wide strips. I glued them onto the glass stone using Glossy Accents which is a thick type of a glue that dries clear and is used a lot in scrapbooking. It is the same as another product we have in Canada called Diamond Glaze. This adds dimension when applied and one layer nicely covered the quilling when I added more to the top.

Because the stone is clear and the bail when glued on would show, I had to add a backing to the quilling. On one, I added paper and then another layer of Glossy Accents and on the others I added glitter for sparkle and then a layer of Glossy Accents to make sure the glitter was sealed in completely. My sister used clear nail polish to seal hers on the back. I have to wait until I get to Mississauga to see my sister to get some bails from her to finish them.

I'm not sure how well they will photograph or scan but I will try to get a picture of them when they are finished. Right now their last layer is drying.

If you didn't want to make necklaces they also could be made into fridge magnets.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: An experiment

Post by admin on 2010-09-21, 07:59

Fabulous Heather, I can't wait to see them.

My son is a web developer and we always had trouble with fridge magnets that knocked off the fridge easily and it's devastating when it is one you really like and it breaks. His solution is that inside old computers are magnets that are several times stronger than the normal shop bought one. In fact they are so strong they take a good yank to get them off so no chance of them falling off.
They are located inside the hard drive of the computer and have a metal plate attached. You can quill over these. They do come in varied shapes but are so strong you can magnetise 2 on either side of your hand!!
Best of all you can get them for free. Just ask at a IT store for their old broken hard drives and pull them apart
have fun
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2010-09-21, 11:49

Great idea, Heather! Can't wait to see your photos ...
Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2010-09-22, 03:06

Heather, I am very interested in your idea and looking forward to photos.
At the last craft show I went to, I bought some glass tiles(jewellery size) and bails and maybe it is worth trying quilling on them also.

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top