Creative Quilling Forum

Making your own strips

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paper shredder

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-23, 02:24

My paper shredder gave up the ghost,lol.I need a new one and have looked on E-Bay, also Amazon and no such luck. Can someone help ?
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Making your own strips

Post by Heather on 2010-09-23, 02:48

Paula there are two available on ebay right now. I bought one a few days ago from this seller imloooney and there are still two left. Do a search for the seller...remember the three o's in imloooney and you will find it. This seller is in the States. I think I did the initial search for quilling shredder. Shredders don't last forever so I wanted a backup. I haven't received it yet so I don't know if it is the same as the one I have but it looks like it may be the same in the photo.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-23, 03:07

we just checked it out and it is a mini reciept shredder,not big enough for regular size sheet and dont know what width it cuts,thanks for trying though it's appreciated!
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-23, 03:14

Paula the shredder I use to cut my strips is small and not full sheet length. It cuts strips that are about 5.5 cm wide so I have to cut the full sheets into strips to start but it does the strips in 1/8 inch strips with very little roughness to the edges. I am hoping that this one does the same. I had a full sheet one but it made the strips a bit wider than the smaller shredder does and the edges weren't quite as neat. The seller where I bought my initial shredders from was from Montreal and I haven't seen her listings in awhile.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-23, 03:24

If it works for you then ,it should for me,might take alittle longer to cut but I'd rather cut my own strips than by them cut already, Hubby is ordering me the last two right now, that way I have a back up and not be in the boat I'm in now with none and needing strips for project. Thanks so much!
Paula flower
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-23, 03:36

Paula, I have a Friskers paper cutter that I use to cut the 5.5 cm widths. You may find that when you run the strips through the shredder the strip on each side kind of comes out a bit crooked but you can save part of the strip at least. I do hope that this shredder is exactly like the one I have, the sellers description was a little confusing but the shredder does look exactly like my favourite one. When I shred, I also don't use the box part that collects the strips as I don't want them bent. At least the price is right and you would get cheaper shipping. I remember the one I got from Montreal had about a starting price of five dollars and shipping was expensive. Canadian postage prices are not cheap! I have searched many a dollar store trying to find them unsuccessfully.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-23, 03:46

Well I hope it's like your favorite one, hubby already ordered the two and the total came to $11.96 which is really a buy. It says it takes 4-5 days to recieve. I'll have to fine something else to make untill then,lol . I'll get the DT's from not quilling,lol
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Making your own strips

Post by Heather on 2010-09-24, 04:49

For those of you who make your own strips with paper, what weight or type of paper do you find is the best. It depends on what I want to do, which paper I use - anything from vellum to a thicker glossy paper (I have to check but I think it is 80 lb. weight that I am using to make tree decorations.

Is there any type of paper that you find really special to shred?

Do you use a shredder or do you hand cut?
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-24, 05:38

Dont know the weight of the paper ,I just buy 200 sheet cardstock pkg in several colors at Michaels. It's not light as printer paper.but It seems to work for most of my projects. I have noticed that the size of the coils come out different sizes, depending on the type of paper,you have to take that into consideration when it comes to patterns.I'm a firm believer on paper shredders as my hands couldn't handle using sissors.
HeatherI Would love to see your tree ornaments, love Holiday decor.
Paula flower
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-24, 06:37

I usually use a lighter weight paper than cardstock. Or if I do use cardstock it is a really light weight. One of my shredders gave up the ghost after a lot of use with cardstock. Yes the size of your coils will be different. I will scan the snowflakes I have done, once my class is over Saturday and upload them into the gallery. They are simple ones, not very complicated ones I have done so far because I am teaching them to beginner quillers. I have used a heavier paper for these as I want them to be sturdy and last for years without needing too much protection. I have to find my form that I will use to make the bells and am looking for a round ball that comes apart to make the Christmas balls. Once the stores come out with their Christmas displays I'm sure I will find what I need.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-24, 06:39

HI there,
I prefer to cut than shred as I find the edges on a shredder leaves them tatty and not as neat as doing it by hand or precut. You can also use a guillotine to get a nice even cut. Regular copy paper is 80 gsm, most the time I use 100-110gsm as I like the way it springs but Paula is right it all depends on what you are doing as what you like to use. I tried some hand made paper once but it looked awful and my coils looked like it had been done by a preschooler and I hadn't even had a glass of red wine at that stage lol! The paper just sat so badly. Didn't try fringing though.
I do like using silk laid for my fringing as it is soft and very effective. I like to use scrap booking paper that is patterned for a different effect though usually again for fringing as you tend to get a white edge with coils. If I work on something special I like to have paper than has been coloured in the pulp stage as the edges are just as vibrant as the front of the paper unlike coloured white paper that tends to have a whitish edge. Fringing is especially nice if you cut your strip on a slight angle. Start say at a 10mm width but cut out to 20mm. The effect is really nice. I suppose to you have more control over width by doing by hand but can't do very much.
Some of the ladies from a retirement village that I taught at loved their shredders but they said the same that the edges were tatty and tended to buy my paper when I came around then I have met some people who just love their shredders and do most their paper through it so I suppose you just have to try it and see what you like. Are you getting a hand one or electric? you will have to give us the run down on how you go with it
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-24, 06:51

Using a guillotine scares me to pieces if I am cutting the narrow width. I bow down to your skills Karon. The shredder I have does fairly well with the edges and if I am teaching new people, I show them and give them a few strips of store bought paper but we practise on the shredded paper. I use a combination of both for my projects.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-24, 07:27

You can also get some strips from your local printers and these are usually free. These are off cuts that they normally discard at which you can get glossy, matt multi coloured and much more including wide strips of card stock great for turning into gift tags. They trim the paper when doing jobs and they have many different widths and papers you can use. Jean put me onto it and I have been using these for teaching too. Very handy. Sometimes when they have done magazines they have a coloured strip across the edge which looks fabulous fringed.
What brand of shredder do you have? I would say there are some styles that cut better than others so perhaps the strips I have used (shredded) may have come from a shredder that is to rough on the paper. You can also use a rotary cutter which often has all the lines marked out to get it in the right spot. I have one here that I paid $30 for and it can do about 5 sheets at once. I have to admit though most the time I just like to use my good old craft knife and ruler. Does the job neatly and I just cut what I need. Most of the time I just have the precut here especially narrow widths. Guillotines aren't too bad if you know where not to put your finger. mine are still intact so far Laughing
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-24, 15:09

A craft knife and ruler? I really bow down to your patience and talents! I've never tried a rotary cutter. I have used my scrapbooking cutters but that is the extent of my experience in cutting. I should try this again as one of my cutters cuts fancy edges which might be interesting with a fringed flower.

I would be one of those ladies that takes the easy way out and buys the strips or uses a shredder.

I agree with you on making the width of the fringed flowers strip wider at one end when fringing. It does make the flower look more natural.

Here is my favourite shredder for making 1/8 inch strips. It is small and you have to start with 5.5cm. strips but the edges don't come out as tattered as with other shredders I have tried. They aren't perfect though like the store bought ones. They are certainly good enough for cards, for beginners to learn, for children's quilling and the cost factor is minimal which is an added bonus.

I have no idea the name of it. Very Happy
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-24, 18:32

HEather that shredder looks like the ones I just ordered. I didn't think that the thickness of the paper probably wore out the shredder.The card stock that I use isnt real thick,I buy it because there's several colors and theres like 200 sheets which last me a long time,what can I say but that I'm cheap,lol.I did find a paper shredder at Benards that cuts close to 1/8 strip and is electric would last longer, but it's a little exspensive so will wait on that.
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-25, 01:42

Paula do you have the links so others interesting in buying a shredder can pursue that avenue? For the one you just ordered and bernards, thanks.....
Don't worry Heather I don't do it too often but it works fine. If I do cut them I don't usually need that many but if it is a specific colour I need for a certain project I just cut them that way then I just have what I need and it is neat enough. Both your projects look fabulous and you wouldn't know either of you are using shredded strips unlike the ones I have seen over here that ladies have been using. They get frustrated as their coils don't turn out like mine but it is not them. The strips are copy paper 80gsm, every jagged and have that whitish tone to them and that is why they didn't sit so well or look as nice. Perhaps they need to change the shredder they are using and paper too.
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-25, 02:31

The shredders that I just ordered are from E-bay ,thanks to Heather letting me know and at the time there were 2 and I got both of them.The electric one I just typed in
www.menards.com (sorry had the name wrong earlier). then type in search bar for paper shredder.
Its cuts 5/32 and costs around $32.00 and cuts about 5 sheets at a time.
Paula bounce line

Last edited by paulahogue on 2010-09-25, 02:34; edited 1 time in total
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-25, 02:32

Fabulous Paula thanks for that, I see you found the new smilies too ur great

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-25, 02:36

Sure did, love smilies,lol
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-25, 02:39

Me too, had a little time up my sleeve last night and decided to go find some. Will see if I can locate any more
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-25, 02:41

Here is a battery operated one that is on ebay right now in the U.K. I have one and it cuts paper .4cm slightly wider than the 1/8 width. I use this one sometimes to cut the yellow/orange strips for the center of flowers that I fringe to add some dimension and interest to the flowers rather than just using a peg. It does tatter the edges but it is not noticeable since I fringe the strip of paper.

battery operated paper shredder on ebay

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by quillable on 2010-09-25, 10:44

Hi All
Found all the ways of cutting paper interesting - Have never used a paper shredder - I am a Metal ruler and blade person - its amazing how accurate you can get with the widths after a time of doing it this way - I just love all the different colour papers you can and I have folders full of a4 paper sheets in all sorts of colours I can reach for when looking for something a bit different or to match a certain colour - chances are theres something in one of them!
Happy Crafting all
Cheers Donna
quillable

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-25, 20:58

Well I got the paper shredder in the mail today and hate to say I'm not pleased with them. Did not relize how small they are, there not even 4 inches wide or tall. Oh well atleast I didn't spend a whole lot. I'll just have to get the electric one from Menards, dont know what I'll do with the small ones.
Paula q mark
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-25, 21:27

No they aren't big Paula, but what type of a strip do they cut? Mine isn't big but it does a great job of shredding the strips. I haven't received mine from ebay yet. I love the size of mine since it is small enough to take with me to scrapbooking crops. If they are like the one that I have, if you don't like yours you can always sell them to me if you are willing to mail them to Canada.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-25, 21:56

Just tried running paper through one of the shredders and it seems to cut smooth, alot better than the big one I had. I'd still rather have one that I can feed a whole sheet into it.If you really want them I could send them, never sent anything to Canada is there a difference in postage?
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top