Creative Quilling Forum

Making your own strips

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Making your own strips

Post by Heather on 2010-09-25, 22:20

Keep it and use it until you can find the full sheet shredder that you like better Paula. Then I will buy it from you since it does nice edges. The girls I taught quilling to today would love them since they saw my shredder in use today. They can use my shredder in the meantime. Yes postage to Canada will cost more and you also need a customs slip. I will pay the postage. The full sheet one that I had did really tatty edges so I sold it at a scrapbooking store garage sale.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-26, 18:39

Paula, I just checked the Menards site because I was curious to see their shredders and they had two of them listed. They look like one I have that is electric which I don't use for quilling. When I checked the details in the ones I saw they gave this information for shredding. •5/32" x 1 5/8" shreds I wonder if that means that they are cross-cut type of shredders that also cut the length of the strip as well. I am guessing since there are a lot of cross cut shredders on the market too. They were 6 and 8 sheet shredders so I'm hoping that they sold out of the 5 sheet one you mentioned. I hope I am wrong and you find the shredder that you really like.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-26, 20:53

They must of sold out on the online sale at $29.00 and some change,because it wasnt a cross cut. They should get more instock it's a pretty busy store. I dont know why it's so hard to find one, atleast the hand crank. You'd think with all the quilling sites, stores they would have them.Dont know when I can get the electric one ,buy then Maybe Menards will have them in stock.
Paula Cry
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-26, 21:17

Paula was yours that broke like this one? I tried to follow the link and they gave and didn't get through.

paper shredder

I was doing a google search and there doesn't seem to be much out there for hand cranked full size shredders. Cry Darn I wish I hadn't sold the full sheet one I had at the garage sale. I could have sent it to you.

I guess the quilling sites would rather sell their paper strips. I'm going to a couple of liquidation stores this week and will check to see if by any chance I can find one. They do usually have unusual things so you never know.

Oooooooh found another one that looks interesting but it was posted in 2005. What are the chances? The Radio Shack website no longer is working but there is a Radio Shack store right near me. The Canadian stores did not go belly-up like they did in the States. It is a really small store near me but worth checking out. It is a very slim chance but I will check it out to see. I didn't see a price.

different type of shredder
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-26, 21:40

Oh well, Hubby is still going to see if he can get mine working, I doubt it he's tried a few times already. It will cut strips at both ends but the center of paper wont cut. When we can and hopefully when menards has them I will get one but for now have to wait on it. Thanks Heather!
Paula chocolate
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-26, 21:47

Well the good news - Paper shredder click here

The bad news - you have to buy 40 of them in a lot!

Whoever thought buying a simple shredder that cut great strips for full sheets would be so hard to find.

rollin pin

Heather,
Why don't you contact the company as if you are going to sell them (which is an option as it will pay for your quilling supplies if you do and you can sell them on ebay) and ask if you can buy a sample to test as you need one that cuts with a smooth edge and you need to check it over first before you start ordering in bulk. Ask them how much it is to post to you via Hong Kong post (takes about 2-3 weeks but is economical) plus the cost of the sample and you will get back to them if is cuts properly as they are to sell to craft ladies who use the strips. You may find with such a demand if it is any good you can then sell them off on ebay and buy some sheets of good paper to go through it with your profits, just an idea anyway.
Karon
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-26, 22:13

your smily fits the situation,lol
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-09-27, 01:45

Be careful with which one you choose....I bought one a while ago, and it was from Japan! It's cruddy though, you can see its edges on it once they're cut! So I don't ever use that and go the expensive route by buying strips.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-27, 02:02

Heather,
Why don't you contact the company as if you are going to sell them (which is an option as it will pay for your quilling supplies if you do and you can sell them on ebay) and ask if you can buy a sample to test as you need one that cuts with a smooth edge and you need to check it over first before you start ordering in bulk. Ask them how much it is to post to you via Hong Kong post (takes about 2-3 weeks but is economical) plus the cost of the sample and you will get back to them if is cuts properly as they are to sell to craft ladies who use the strips. You may find with such a demand if it is any good you can then sell them off on ebay and buy some sheets of good paper to go through it with your profits, just an idea anyway.
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-27, 02:05

I'll check it out before I buy it,got to have a shredder,lol. I like it where I cut only what I need that way I dont have piles of strips to keep organized and buying them already cut can get exspensive. I would buy shiny ones or two tone etc. if need for special project.
Paula
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

An expensive shredder!

Post by Heather on 2010-09-27, 16:14

I just received the little shredder I got on ebay and went to experiment cutting the strips. It does an excellent job but the draw back is that you have to cut the paper in 5.5 cm strips to start.

Here is how my little $2.99 shredder got expensive. It was in a box with those foam "s" shaped packing peanuts. I wasn't looking and one of my little mini poodles grabbed two of the peanuts. I got them out but he quickly found another that had escaped the box and ran with it. I tried to get it out of his mouth and the little devil swallowed it. When they get wet those type of peanuts get gummy. Being such a little dog it would block his innards, so off to the vet we go. I didn't have anything here to induce vomiting and the pharmacy is still closed. My little shredder is now costing me $227.00. From now on all my boxes will be opened outside away from the dogs.

There are nine more of them up for auction on ebay. The seller says he ships only to the States but I asked him and he shipped mine to Canada.
dollars
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-27, 17:00

Wow, I'm glade your dog is ok!
with the little shredders I just got you have to cut the paper almost 3 inches wide before running it through,I think there the same as yours.
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-27, 17:51

Yes Paula, it is the same shredder. I know cutting a full size sheet in 4 is a bit of a pain but I really like the way that it does shred the 1/8 strips. Better than any other shredder I have found and I have tried a lot of them.

My dog is still at the vets and hopefully giving us back the peanut about now. If he had been a big dog, I would not be worried. If the pharmacy had been open, I could have got some meds myself to do the trick. Lesson for me.....have some on hand.

If anything, this new shredder shreds even better than the one I showed you the box for. Or it could be that my old shredder has worn down from a lot of use. It's name is "Mind Your Own Business!" and is made by Worldwide Co npw.co.uk 3 Warple Way, London W3 ORX, UK

PS...doggy is okay and they got the peanut out!
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2011-02-26, 06:09

I have just taken delivery of a manual paper shredder that I bought on e-bay from ausauctiondepots.com.au (you can also buy direct). They only have Austtralian postage costs listed so I don't know if they ship overseas. It will shred A4 size sheets into 3mm strips which have very tiny serrations on the edge which are hardly noticable. I have tried 80gr and 100gr paper in it and it works just fine.
Carole

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top