Creative Quilling Forum

Don't bother!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Don't bother!

Post by Heather on 2010-09-27, 18:38

I bought these on ebay from a seller in India. The price was right and I thought they would be great for teaching new people. I had a couple of the fine needle tools but I broke the needles quickly and I was hoping that they could also be a replacement for mine. WRONG! The needle on these tools is huge and makes a hole so big, far bigger than my slotted tools. I am really disappointed. They were 12 for $6.00 plus the cost of shipping.

I am going to have to figure out how to replace the needles on these and at least use the handles. I read somewhere that you can use a file and file off the top of needles so at least I will do that with the ones with the wood handles I bought. Hopefully I can rescue these ones too.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: Don't bother!

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-27, 18:58

Thats one thing about ordering on line,I dont like cause your not sure what your getting till you get it. Most the time you arent able to return it.
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-27, 20:08

Yes Paula, it sure would cost me more to mail these back to India than I paid in the first place. They took a very long time to come and in the meantime, I saw that someone had given them neutral feedback saying that the needles were too large. If I had only known, I wouldn't have bought them because I do check seller's feedback before purchasing. At least I was warned in advance and was prepared for possibly being unhappy.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-28, 00:33

Hi Heather
I bought from this same lady in the early days of creative quilling and her paper was not cut straight either. Many of her products are dirty too. Be thankful you only bought that, it could have been worse!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-09-28, 03:49

paulahogue wrote:Thats one thing about ordering on line,I dont like cause your not sure what your getting till you get it. Most the time you arent able to return it.
Paula

True, but not everyone has the luxury of living near a place that sells quilling supplies. The best I got is Hobby Lobby, which we never go to cause it's like 2 hours away...so I always order online.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-09-28, 03:58

True, I dont live close to any quilling store or supplies, closest craft store is an hour from me and that ride takes a tole on me, and I've ordered on line and will again, it does make it easier on us.
bubble gum
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by quillable on 2010-09-28, 15:07

Hi All
Just read this and had to share this idea with you - I make all my own tools - with - wait for it - PERM RODS as the handles! They work a treat and because they have the grips on the perm rod are great for winding the paper without slipping. I simple buy a pack of embroidery needles with a size to suit - Take hubbys pliers (wear safety glasses for this bit for heavens sake!) and you snip off the end of the needle - the reason for safety glasses is it can fly anywhere the bit you snip off! I then use a pair of pliers to hold the needle just under the eye area and then simply heat it over a candle or - I have been known to use the gas stove and stink the house out - when the needle is red at the end you simply push it into the end of the perm rod and reapeat this a few times till the needle is quite a ways into the perm rod - the smelly bit is when some of the residue from the perm rod attatched to the needle and burns - it stinks..... but once you have it in far enough wobble it to centre it and then apply a bit of super glue around the needle and rod as this fills any gaps and hold it secure.the beauty of doing this is that if you have arthritic hands at all you can use a larger perm rod and it gives better comfort to hold too..
Hope this may help someone wanting to make their own tools - I use to be a hairdresser but now prefer to wind paper with my perm rods! LOL
Cheers and Happy Quilling
Donna
quillable

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-09-28, 15:20

Great idea Donna!

I am hoping to something with the handles of these tools at least. My husband isn't handy and doesn't have a tool that would work but I read somewhere that you could file the top of the needle off with sandpaper. I'm going to give that a try and hopefully the needle isn't securely in those handles and I might be able to pry them out and start again. Love your idea of the perm rods but I don't have any. I bet I could talk my hairdresser into giving me one though.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-09-29, 00:52

Hi Donna, No wonder your hair always looks gorgeous!! how long do you get out of these tools?. I use to buy the needle eye tool and it didn't take long before they started to move in the timber as the polished round surface just starts to turn as you wind and no amount of glue or pushing it in fixes this. Does it hold in longer being plastic? I wonder if there is a way of securing it more fully so they last longer as this seem to be the major problem with these type of tools yet they are preferable for that small centre, any suggestions?
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by quillable on 2010-09-29, 02:36

Hi Karon
I am still using 2 of the original ones I made ! 13 years on - so they do quite well - I think because you are melting the plasticto the needle it gives a firmer grip + also the added super glue to top to fill any gaps helps - I usually use - Locktite glue - I sneak it as it is a bit dearer than super glue - BUT my hubby uses it on his arrows and it is kept in the fridge so while at work he is none the wiser! I have had a coupe come loose but I simply removed the needle with pliers - reheated it and put it back in - it was mainly the rose one I use as it gets a bit of tension on it. I did forget to mention to use a bit of very fine wet and dry sandpaper on the edges of the needle ofter it is cut off to remove any sharp edges too - but do this very gently not too much pressure - and you can buy perm rods at price line - I will take a pic of some I have made and send it in - will probably make more sense then to see them in a pic - You can vary the size needle to to whatever you are going - I cut the top of a sewing needle for 1.5mm strip - so it is super fine......
Hope this helps
Cheers
Donna
quillable

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum