Creative Quilling Forum

How would you...go about it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How would you...go about it?

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-10-06, 04:58

Some quilling pieces of the finest quality seem to have intense, detailed patterns. Take this for example:

So, my question is simply how do they do it affraid? I don't care if this advice comes from you, or you read it somewhere...Is there a certain way this is planned or sketched or something? Though my quilling is often big and takes forever, I can't say that they look this complicated at all scratch, but I would like my quilling work to be advanced as possible. After all, I have decades ahead of me to improve bounce.
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: How would you...go about it?

Post by Heather on 2010-10-06, 05:35

Great question!

That paisley example sure is beautiful. I'm purely guessing but if I was doing this, I would first choose the colour palate that I wanted to use....that would be the fun part. Part of the beauty is in the monochromatic look of the shading.

Then I would look at a lot of paisley designs. Rubber stamps, material patterns, patterned paper are places to look. When I found something that tweaked my interest, I would start with the paisley outline and draw it out on a piece of paper. Then I would quill around the main design and once that was done, I would start adding the other shapes in place filling in the details as I went along.

I might doodle my design out on a piece of paper along the way to see which designs I liked better before I quilled all of the shapes. This piece is really intricate with many different shapes. Looking carefully I see lots of dimension in this work which also adds to the overall beauty. The crimped strips really add interest as well. This is a piece that I would likely do over time as I would take time choosing what the next step would be.

This would certainly be a major challenge for me too. I'll practice by designing snowflakes until I get brave and more experienced. Someday you will be doing beautiful work just like this piece. You have a lot of talent.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by quillingsavy on 2010-10-06, 05:40

It would be awesome to get a really fine crimper which could make those jagged strips that texture! I do own one, actually, but I don't think it would look like that-much less...jagged parts? I suppose I would be able to do this, but it is much different from anything I've ever tried. I'm much too into 3D quilling, but I could do something 3D with such detail as that. As long as I take it one step at a time and I suppose plan, I would be able to make something a bit complicated...

This "method" if I may call it that seems to involve the same colors in different shades. If you don't know already, there are some awesome packages that come in shades...I think it's awesome, though I have yet to buy some. Take this place for example, where I order quilling strips (after I spend about 150 bucks or something there...I'll get like a 10 buck gift card. Hey, I'll get there eventually Laughing. Now, I have 41 points which directly correlates with how much I have spent there... ).

http://www.quillingsuperstore.com/Shade-Packages_c_33.html
quillingsavy

http://rachellescraftingzone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-10-09, 11:30

Hi Rachelle, I like to google through images to find different ideas then replicate with mods of my own. If you take for instance Donna's picture that took her 350+ hours with 1.5mm strips of the victorian setting in the park (in the gallery). Donna actually did a follow up on what lead her to do this. check out the post and Donna's info as I think this will help you She has some exquisite quilling that is quite detailed and she talks about how it came about
Hope that helps
karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum