Creative Quilling Forum

Fringers - The Pros and Cons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fringers - The Pros and Cons

Post by Lauren (Administrator) on 2010-10-27, 14:10

Hi everyone,

Karon has kindly compiled some information on fringers for those either contemplating a new fringer, upgrading or just wanting to know what the differences are and what is available.  We would like to thank Charli from TBD Quilling and Danette from Lake City Craft for their valuable input whilst gathering this information.

Types of Fringers
For those who haven’t had much to do with fringers, a 90 degree fringer is designed to fringe strips of paper that can be coiled and opened into an attractive fringed flower.  If you are doing a lot of fringing, you will find that a fringer can save you time, give you a more uniform cut and give your tired hands some relief not to mention no more accidents by cutting your strip right through.  You will find the 90 degree cuts like this IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.  A 45 degree fringer is mainly used for doing fringed leaves and is less commonly available or used than the 90 degree fringer.  The 45 degree fringer cuts like this ///////////////////.

Different Fringers Available Today
There are a few 90 degree fringers on the market now days.  Most come with a small degree of adjustments and one that has a lot of adjustments for those wanting different sized widths and depth in their fringing or for those quilling to a more professional than recreational capacity.

Fringers got their start in the USA with the well known Fred’s original fringer in the spring of 1987 and then the Fred’s 45 degree fringer in 1988.  Both of these fringers were the first of their kind and remain the most sold fringer on the market, both are still made exclusively for Lake City Craft in the USA.  These fringers are an all metal construction and are manufactured in the USA.  The RRP of the Fred’s fringer is $70USD.

As the years rolled on some other versions also became available through manufacturers in Pakistan and Paplins in the USA.  Both of these rival the Fred’s fringer in features and range from RRP $49 - $59USD.  The Fred’s fringer boasts to be of a higher quality and standard.

All of these fringers fringe precut strips ranging from 1/4" or 6mm through to 3/8" or 10mm with an approximate precut spacing of 1/32" or 0.8mm.  They all have precut holes so they can all be mounted on a timber base for greater stability.  When testing these fringers, they all cut well, uniform and are almost the same in features and capabilities.  Adjustments are made with a small screwdriver not supplied with any of the brands.  The Paplins fringer is lighter in weight.  The Fred’s and Pakistan fringers are almost the same except the Fred’s has a cleaner finish.  The Pakistan fringers are all hand made and do not have a polished finish which is more of an aesthetic difference and doesn’t seem to affect the cutting of the strips.

Fred's Fringer

Paplin Fringer

Pakistan Fringer

Many long time quillers still have their original all metal fringers and testify to their durability throughout the years some as high as 20+ years.  Very little maintenance is required except a little automotive grease for lubrication (as per instructions) and make sure you always keep a paper strip in your fringer.  Parts are available through the suppliers and all have a warranty.

Some plastic versions of the fringer have made their debut but have not been as reliable and popular as their all metal cousins.  These seem to be available via the internet on ebay for around $49USD.

Karon's first experience was a plastic based fringer that broke within 6 months.  It gave her constant trouble from day one mostly jamming up or chewing the paper until the day it died.  Several other members have stated they had similar experiences, in fact there hasn't been anyone who was able to say they had their plastic fringer past a two year period.  If you have had a better experience please let us know!

[b]Jonathan Mayne Fringer[/b]
The Jonathan Mayne fringer is of a much heavier construction than the standard fringers available and many find they do not need to secure it to a base for stability.  This high quality quilling fringer has been designed in Australia, featuring precision engineering to fringe up to 15mm wide paper.  The nylon roller under the advanced finger has been designed to avoid paper jams.  It has a spring loaded lever return for lightning fast finger tip control and this fringer is fully adjustable for pitch and depth of cut.

There is no need to ensure the handle is fully returned to the up position as the spring loaded return does this for you ensuring your strip is advanced properly.  This fringer is extremely handy for those who suffer with arthritis or tired hands due to its effortlessness use.  This fringer is designed for the quiller wanting greater control over width and depth of their fringing and the highly responsive adjustment for depth and width is far superior to any rival fringer on the market.  You can fringed so finely with this machine, the flowers look amazingly delicate and with the twist of an allen key it can return to a nice thick petal if desired.

If you want the best of the best, this fringer will cost you $130 AUD.  Quillers with this fringer have noted they required a little extra direction with adjustments which was easily supported over the phone from the manufacturer.  Adjustments are made with the allen key that is supplied with the fringer.  Jonathan Mayne also boasts a money back guarantee. It is only available in 90 degree.

**** News Flash ****
When contacting Jonathan Mayne about this review, we were fortunate to be informed about his new design that will be available within the next 6 months.  This new fringer will cut paper strip widths from 1/8" or 3mm up to 0.8" or 20mm.

Yes, you heard that right…there is a new fringer soon to be available that will go smaller than the original 6mm or 1/4" and double the width of traditional fringers.

Not only does this new fringer cut many more widths, it will also have an enclosed mechanism and enclosed blades making it so safe it can be used in schools or even on a plane!

Here is the information directly from Jonathan himself:

My new fringer will have many additional features while operating on a very similar principal to my present fringer.

• High grade hardened steel, permanently meshed scissor blades;
• Robust and reliable action with no external springs;
• 100% safe even for children as the blades are completely enclosed;
• Fringes paper from 3mm to 20mm width in matt, satin or gloss finish;
• Requires no tools to adjust for space between cuts, depth of cut across the strip or different widths of paper;
• Fast and easy to load.  Simple to operate with spring assisted handle;
• Fringe a 300mm strip in 60 seconds (or less if you're keen); and
• Quality assurance from years of experience with our precision engineered quilling fringers.

Ergonomic shape and stylish design make this fringer a joy to own and use.

Best wishes
Jonathan

No other fringer in the world will be able to fringe this many widths, be as safe or reliable.

What does it cost?
It is estimated to cost a little more than the Fred’s fringer and it will début here in Australia and also with a supplier in the USA.  We will keep you all informed of the release over the next few months.  We are hoping to arrange for preorders as it gets closer so if you are interested please let me know.

If you have your own experiences, good or bad, with fringers please tell us all about it as it is always helpful to be informed before investing in a fringer that becomes a lifelong friend.  We hope you find this information enlightening and look forward to hearing from you.

Lauren and Karon

Information for this post came from:
Danette from Lake City Craft USA – Fred’s original fringer http://www.quilling.com/
Charli from TBD USA – Fringers 101 and many more articles and products http://too-bad-dogs-inc.com/store/WsAncillary.asp?ID=11
Creative Quilling Australia – Jonathan Mayne fringer, Pakistan fringer, Paplins fringer and products for testing. www.creativequilling.com.au
Lauren (Administrator)
Admin

http://www.creativequilling.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Fringers - The Pros and Cons

Post by Heather on 2010-10-27, 17:18

Thank you for this well written comparison of fringers. As I have stated in other threads, I have given up on my fringer and have been hand fringing for years. I look forward to purchasing the new model when it comes out. Those that I teach sure will appreciate having this, as some find it hard to hand fringe. I will enjoy having fringing done quickly in so many different widths. I eagerly await it's arrival.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-10-27, 19:29

Hi Heather
I have the Jonathan Mayne current fringer and it never jams in fact it is just so reliable that I rarely hand fringe anymore.... that and I'm lazy chocolate
Jo put me onto this one and it has been an excellent investment. She sells bulk flowers so hers works really hard. She told me once you can do a couple of strips at once but I haven't bothered to try as yet.
Have you also seen the Martha Stewart fringe scissors? I don't really like big scissors for fringing especially the narrower strips as they tend to tear them but for larger flowers they are quite novel

Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-10-27, 19:37

I've never seen scissors like that, I still like my little fringer, works great. I'd like to get the new one thats comming out I can only imagine the price woo.
Paula flower
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-10-27, 19:44

I have seen those scissors on ebay but not in person. I have to admit I was tempted for cutting strips until someone said it was almost impossible to cut a straight line with them when trying to make long strips. I can see where they would have some value in fringing for large flowers, but the scissors are big and too bulky for me with my small hands. I like cutting miniature and making smaller flowers. It would be worth trialing them though. Doing a large floral centerpiece would put these scissors through a good workout.

I was going to ask for the Jonathon Mayne fringer for Christmas Karon, but I think I will wait and get the new one when it comes out.

Last edited by Heather on 2010-10-27, 19:49; edited 1 time in total
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-10-27, 19:49

paulahogue wrote: I'd like to get the new one thats comming out I can only imagine the price woo.
Paula flower

Paula don't quote me on it but it will be a lot cheaper than the current fringer he has on the market. It will only be a few dollars more than what you would pay for the fred's fringer. What fringer do you have now? It is great to hear experiences of different fringers especially if you have owned it for a while. I know some people have some of the early fred's fringers and they are still going! That really says a lot for a fringer that it will last so well and so long. Even the basic fringers I mentioned are great too. It really depends on what you want to do and if you want that extra width and precut spacing adjustment option

I am sure Lauren will let us know a bit closer to launch date so we know exactly when and how much

Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-10-27, 20:55

Karon, I believe I have Freds fringer,it looks like it from the picture above, it's been great for me. Have had no problems with it and I've had it for about a year now.
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-10-27, 21:19

My Fred's fringer doesn't work well at all....continually needed adjusting. Unfortunately it only cut a few strips well at the beginning and that was it. I bought it years ago and remember trying to get some help with fixing it properly but was never successful at getting it to work properly for any length of time. It stops feeding the paper through evenly and then just cuts a lot of extemely thin strips if it even advances the paper. When I adjust it, it will work for a few inches and then it is back to misbehaving. I haven't bothered with it in years. I should get it out and try again.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on quilling on 2010-10-28, 00:01

Fringers......ahhhh they make my life soooo much easier!!!
Cannot wait for the new JM fringer, I'm sure it will be of great quality and do a fantastic job..
hooked on quilling

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Quilled-Inspirations

Back to top Go down

Post by miapet on 2010-10-28, 00:21

I have just purchased a Jonathon Mayne fringer for my birthday. So far, I am very pleased with it. I also have a Fred's fringer which I find works well sometimes but at other times, I am tempted to throw it into the sea. I am still trying to work out the adjustment process for my new fringer, but I have no doubt I will eventually master it. Happy quilling and fringing.

Pauline (miapet)

miapet

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-10-28, 00:48

maybe mine is not a Freds, cause mine works great as others it dont, Very Happy
paulahogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-10-28, 01:59

Paula, I bet yours is a Freds. I have heard that they work very well for some people. I was just unlucky with mine. I'm really interested in the new one that is coming out since it has some really nice features.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by Leann on 2010-10-29, 01:46

Thanks Lauren & Karon for this valuable information on fringers! I am yet to purchase one and was thinking of putting it on my christmas list this year.....now I might wait for the new one to come out and purchase one then. In the meantime it's back to hand fringing! Very Happy
Leann

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2010-11-01, 07:00

Hi Karen,
I would be interested in the new fringer. I have been thinking of buying one so will wait for the new one since it has more features.
Carole

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-11-01, 07:05

Hi Carole,
I will let Lauren know as she has taken over Creative Quilling completely now (bought me out). I will still be around but not involved in products, just quilling away to my hearts content!! lol

I am lining up for one too!!
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauren (Administrator) on 2010-11-01, 10:57

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. I will be sure to let you all know when the new fringer is due to be released. Watch this space...

Lauren
Lauren (Administrator)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauren (Administrator) on 2011-02-21, 04:38

Hi everyone,

I have some updated information on the new fringer.

Unfortunately I don't think this fringer will be released until much later in the year. I don't have an exact timeframe, however I understand that the plans are still very much in the early stages.

I will keep you posted as I learn more. Sorry to disappoint those who are very much looking forward to it.

Lauren
Lauren (Administrator)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KrazeeLdy on 2011-02-21, 05:10

Well...with everyone waiting in line for one...they better make a LOT...otherwise there may be a riot Smile

Thanks for the update!

Congrats again on that little baby boy!!! Smile

KrazeeLdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top