Creative Quilling Forum

Warning! - Don't do what I did!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warning! - Don't do what I did!

Post by Heather on 2010-11-15, 08:15

Somebody told me that there was such a thing as digital quilling images and I did a google site looking for them. I went onto a site that Norton said was okay but it had been hacked with malware and transferred me to a pcchecker site. It immediately loaded up a few lovely trojan viruses as well as other stuff. I got what looked like a Windows Security Alert which was a "fake" one I think. That site probably was legitimate but had been hacked into. The viruses it said I had were not the ones I actually had. Doing some research, I found that this hacking can be common and if I had continued on that site, it might have tried to sell me software.

Norton did not pick up any of the malware/viruses when I ran the scan but I still was suspicious. I downloaded a program called StopZilla that does Malware checks, ran the scan which showed the viruses. I tried to register it after paying with Paypal and it showed that it failed. I called the company and one of the malicious little buggers wasn't allowing it to be registered. I had to remove all those nasties first before it could be registered. $$$ and an hour and a quarter later, the techie had all of the nasties gone. She removed the site from the registry so I can't tell you the actual website.

I thought it might be fun to add some digital quilling to a digital scrapbooking page but I guess I won't be doing that again for awhile.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: Warning! - Don't do what I did!

Post by Philippa on 2010-11-15, 09:57

Thanks for the timely warning, Heather.
Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2010-11-15, 12:19

Woooaaa that's really bad. My son is a website designer and gets me to use Mozilla Firefox browser. It is free and has quite a few add ons that seem to pick everything up for me besides the AVG security which is also free and I have been running for a few years drama free. If I didn't have my son around think I would just about have kittens if that happened to me although I have to admit our website got hacked earlier this year by a huge hackers ring in the UK. They completely deleted the website and put up a picture of a freaky demon on my home page dripping with blood. Much to my horror at the time we were able to delete it all and reload the website and just added some extra security measures which fixed it so they couldn't use the same method but boy did it give me a fright at the time. At least there was not bugs with it. You poor thing!! Some people have nothing better to do
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A-M on 2010-11-15, 23:19

Thanks Heather for the warning.
A-M

Back to top Go down

Post by A-M on 2010-11-15, 23:24

Heather, If you still wan some digital quilling I just checked out Scrapgirls where I do a lot of my digital shopping and they have a lovely set:

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/6841/Quilled-Queations-Embellishment-Mini
A-M

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2010-11-16, 00:08

Thanks for the link A-M. I don't think that is the link that gave me the trouble. I think that was where I initially went, loved their designs and decided to investigate further. Once I recover from last nights adventure, I will check it out again. I don't really need to do it right away. My twin sister and my husband are going together to get me an iPad for Christmas and I plan to put my scrapbooks and photos on it. My sister does a lot of digital scrapbooking and I have decided that my growing collection of scrapbooks has gotten out of hand and want to put some on it so I can save space in this small house.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by utine on 2010-11-16, 19:48

thank you for the warning, dear heather...
utine

http://oetine.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top