Creative Quilling Forum

Help with pricing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with pricing?

Post by Maestro's Momma on 2010-12-31, 19:14

Hello,

I am brand new to the forum and quilling Razz and I am totally hooked on this art. I would love to enter our spring craft fair this year to make some extra $$ but I am completely at a loss on pricing. I included a few pictures so you can see what I've done so far. Oh, two of the angels are made with 100 year old paper that I cut into strips. I am sure I will get better with time. I seem to enjoy making angels so most are 3d angels. I noticed this forum is Australian, I'm in the US.

Thank you for all the tips, I really enjoyed that section of the forum.

Picture quality is low, took it with my flip video. Rolling Eyes

Maestro's Momma

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with pricing?

Post by admin on 2010-12-31, 23:42

Hi there! Very nice and well done! There are quite a few ladies here from the USA too, I am in Australia so I am sure there will be a few helpful tips shared. Also some quillers who regularly do markets and sell their quilling with helpful info too.
Pricing has always been difficult and I know a few quillers from your way that have noticed the poor economy has affected buyers spending habits. Perhaps google some quilling from the USA and have a look at other quillers sites and see what they are charging to get you started.
Factors that also affect pricing is where, whether you sell at a market, art gallery etc, how long you have been quilling and what you make.
Many ladies have found some of the most saleable popular items are frames (either empty for a photo with the quilling around it or with a poem), watches, cards (perhaps the most popular), coasters, hairclips, trinket boxes etc. I know our dollar is on parity at the moment and some of the ladies over here sell their cards for between $3.50 and $7.50 depending on size and how elaborate they are, boxes for around $10-15. Also look at www.etzy.com at the quilling for prices too. Selling always depends not only on what we make but more importantly what the buyer wants. Put yourself in the mind of a buyer and think about what you would stop and likely buy then make your artwork accordingly.
Have you sealed your 3d pieces with something to protect them? Wow, 100yr old paper, that is amazing. This too would be a good selling point. Will you be entering any of your pieces in the fair? I know we have a post some time last year (funny saying that) about entering your art into shows that will be very helpful too.
I hope that helps in some way, thanks for sharing your beautiful pieces. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing with the fair. How far away is it?
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2010-12-31, 23:59

Thanks Karon for answering Momma's question, I didnt know where to begin as I'm from USA and not really selling any of my art, I think it's that time of year with the Holidays and money is tight for alot of people. Maybe it will pick up in the New Year! By the way Happy New Year everyone, hope it brings happiness and good health to all, and more quilling,lol
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beckypetro on 2011-01-04, 18:48

Karon is right on ...the one or two times I have been asked to quill something for someone, I have gone to Etsy (www.etzy.com) to get a feel for what I should charge. People have never balked when given the price, so I think it is a good place to base prices on.

beckypetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top