Creative Quilling Forum

varnishing jewellery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

varnishing jewellery

Post by Carole on 2011-01-07, 02:45

Hello everyone, I would like to try making some quilled jewellery.
Does anyone know what product to use to varnish the jewellery to make it more durable and water resistent.
Thanks for your help
Carole

Carole

Back to top Go down

Re: varnishing jewellery

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2011-01-07, 04:13

Hi Carole

We have had lots of discussion on this and if you go to Quilling Tips and Advice you will find a detailed entry from Philipa

Some tips on quilled jewellery-making

There is also a thread on Sealing and Preserving your Work.

If you do not find the information you want I am sure there are members who will give you more advice.

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2011-01-07, 07:40

Thanks, I will give that a try.
Carole Smile

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2011-01-08, 05:33

Hi Carole,
Another thing that Jean wrote about was that you can also paint them over with normal PVA that you have put into a dish with a little water. I did this the other day with some beads I made as I hadn't been out with all the rain to get some varnish so I decided to try PVA first then I will try varnish next and compare the difference.
They turned out quite hard after a few coats. I popped the beads on toothpicks and painted the pva insuring to cover all the areas of the bead then allowed to dry. I tried some with 2 coats and some with 4. It worked very well and they were quite hard and well sealed. 4 coats being more glossy looking but harder. Between coats it took an hour so I could get them done in an afternoon.
What you can do is make a tear drop shape and try it out by painting on a few coats. leave it till the next day and road test how it went. Also when you start using varnish it is a good idea to have a few practice pieces just in case you ruin something you have been working on for some time. I have also heard people using clear nail polish on small pieces but never tried it.
Let us know how you go

Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2011-01-08, 06:53

Thanks Karon, I will let you know how I get on.
Carole sunny

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2011-01-08, 17:21

My experience with PVA is that it dries to a lovely, glossy finish - BUT it temporarily turns white, speckly and very sticky if you subsequently get the item of jewellery wet again. (If you were to wear your quilled earrings out in the rain, for example.) That's why I always strengthen my quilled jewellery with PVA first, but then spray varnish on top of that as well because this makes the item genuinely water-repellant.

The PVA I use is white, but dries clear - I'm not sure whether there are any other kinds?

Anyway, I've done tests on my combined PVA/varnish finish with the woven paper bags and purses that I occasionally make. I always coat these items with PVA first, and then varnish them as well. One time, I actually held a finished purse under our power shower to test it, and the water just ran off "like water off a duck's back" as they say!!
Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-01-08, 18:52

Okay, I have been following this topic and I just have one question so far...silly as it is...what is PVA?

Back to top Go down

Post by paulahogue on 2011-01-08, 19:44

I just asked Karon,lol. She said for us in the USA, it is Elmers glue
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-01-08, 21:06

OHHHH....hhhmmm....that's the glue I use for quilling...didn't think about using it for a sealer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2011-01-08, 21:24

Hi KrazeeLdy, PVA stands for 'polyvinyl acetate' (apparently!!) and it's widely used as a craft glue, but also as a sealer in the building industry. I buy mine in a home wares store.
Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-01-08, 21:36

Hi ya Philippa...Is PVA the actual name of the product?

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2011-01-08, 22:39

No, KrazeeLdy, I think it's just the 'generic' chemical name: Poly Vinyl Acetate (PVA)!! But I expect it's sold under many different brand names like the 'Elmers' Paula mentioned.

Enjoy your quill-laxing ... what a great term!

Philippa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2011-01-08, 22:58

Okay...I'm going to "Google" it and see what comes up! Smile
Thanks for the info!

Ha..When I ask my son what he's doing he usually says "chill-laxing" (chilling + relaxing)...so...I just changed a couple of letters

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on 2011-01-08, 23:24

Cool play with wording Sheree!!
Philippa is right PVA is the type of glue known as white glue that dries clear. Elmers, Montee, craft glue etc are brand names for the people who bottle the glue. It is all the same PVA that is why most people refer to is as PVA rather than a brand as so many people use different brands in different countries.
Think they call it wood glue here in the hardware stores too. I suppose it would just vary in thickness depending on the use however if your glue does get a little thick, a few drops of water can fix it.
Thanks for the tip Philippa, I got a sealer but wasn't real impressed as it didn't dry very hard so I will try the combo of the two. When I read up about the African beads someone from the company who imports the beads suggested boat sealant. It made me wonder if these African ladies started with PVA due to the cost and when the charity company came along to support it, they went over to a stronger form of sealant and this is why they suggested this. Just thought that was interesting as the beads I have from over there have such a clear thick coating on them that they are hard like plastic. I have tried squashing them and given them a hard time to see how they wear but they are totally water proof and the hardest I have seen. Hubby is going to get me a tin to try that as well. If everyone chimes in with what they have tested and tried, it should give us all a good idea what sort of finishes we can get but I think Philippa, since she has made so much jewellery, sounds like the best way to go! PVA is cheap where any varnishes are much more expensive so getting the hardness from the PVA and a final coat with the varnish to water proof it sounds not only like a great finish but economical too
Karon
Karon

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 2011-01-11, 06:38

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for all the suggestions for varnishing jewellery. I tried the PVA and it worked quite well but did need several coats except for the 1.5mm paper. The 3mm paper needed more work to get it into inside all the coils. I will look for the boat sealant as it may not need a lot of coats, saving time and effort. PVA glue is cheap and can be used on a variety of surfaces including fabric. (I also make cloth dolls).
Carole

Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top