Creative Quilling Forum

Member of the Month - September

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Member of the Month - September

Post by Lauren (Administrator) on 2011-09-05, 13:56

Well, she has been very active on the forum since joining a few months ago, we have seen plenty of posts from her and have enjoyed seeing some photos in the gallery. Now it is time to learn a little more about the person behind the name Toye. Congratulations Sheila you are our Member of the Month for September.

My father was English and my mother was from Germany. I am a mother of one beautiful daughter Grace Toye age 49 and grandmother to my grandson Patrick age 25, both now living in Vulcan Alberta.

I came into this world on the 1 April 1939, yes 72 still young in heart and mind. I have been living in Basel (Switzerland) since 1959; I came as a student for languages (French and Italian). Basel is a small town, but the second biggest one in Switzerland, it has some wonderful places to visit. The Americans just love Basel; we have everything here the Rhein, parks, swimming pools, lots of cinemas, three theatres and big department stores. What more can one ask for? I was married to a Swiss gentleman but he died in 1986. I then left Switzerland and went to Canada with my daughter; there I spent 5 years, one year in Toronto and 4 years in Vancouver BC. I got home sick for Europe and came back to Basel.

Ever since school days I have been a crafty person, I started with making my own clothes. I was very good at art and I enjoyed it along with cooking and history. In college, I studied fashions from the 16th-18th century and my drawings from King Henry the VIII were displayed in the classroom. It was then that I knew what I wanted to be...a gold smith. The college wanted me to continue my art studies for another three years but alas that was not meant to be. From dressmaking I started to oil paint, which did not go too well. With my daughter I use to take old bottles and tins and recycle old into new. Then there was a long period when I did not do too many crafts. I was searching for something but at that time did not know what.

When our firm closed down, we were all on the street. The boss at our little craft store (Presser) took me in to do demos for his products. I was all over Switzerland doing demos. I was doing parchment at the time he sent me to Sweden for a course and it was there I met Janet Wilson who, along with other crafts, did Quilling. Janet Wilson is a wonderful person and a great crafter. When I was in England for a Parchment exhibition she introduced me to Quilling.

I fell in love with quilling straight away. I taught myself with books as at the time there was no internet or anyone here in Switzerland who knew about Quilling.

My very first piece of quilling was taken from a book by Janet and Alex D’Amato dating from around 1730. The photo of this piece is now in the forum.

What fascinates me about quilling is that it has an old and wonderful historical background and the great works of art that was produced in the early days. I would give an arm or leg to go to a museum where quilling is being displayed.

Favourite quilling? I love anything to do with quilling.

I would love to see the Swiss become more interested in this wonderful craft and I hope to improve my quilling techniques.

The piece of work that I am most proud of is the chess figures. I have completed the chess pieces and I am just waiting for my friend to complete the board.

Miniatures are something I love to see and I would like to try it out. I would have to get a book on this. I would like to try and make a dolls house all out of quilling.

My motto in life is follow your dreams. That is what I am doing now. One is never too old, it is not the age you are, but the way you look upon life.
Lauren (Administrator)
Admin

http://www.creativequilling.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Member of the Month - September

Post by paulahogue on 2011-09-05, 17:14

very interesting life story,it sounds like you had some rough times, but looks like your doing fine and happy for you that you found something you really enjoy!, thanks for sharing and glad to know you!!!
Paula
paulahogue

http://chillinwithquillin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KrazeeLdy on 2011-09-05, 18:15

YAY!!! Congrats Toye!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you're the member of the month!!! YOU should be! Very Happy

Sheila is fabulous in more ways than just quilling / crafts...she has helped me in so many ways with her kind words...thank you Sheila! Very Happy

HUGS!!!

KrazeeLdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather on 2011-09-05, 20:11

WOW Sheila, you sure have had an interesting life. We probably were in Toronto about the same time. It is too bad that we never met. I hope you continue to follow your dreams. My mom did. She was in her eighties when she went white water rafting in New Zealand and was most annoyed when they told her that she was too old to bungee jump.
Heather

Back to top Go down

Post by toye on 2011-09-05, 21:08

Thank you all for your kind words, it has been a great pleasure in meeting you all over the Forum. I have learnt a lot over Quilling and all the tips have been a great help. Heather I had to laugh, although it is very sad that people think just because one is 80 years old, that one it to old, a lot of people at that age full fill their dreams. Sheree you are so sweet, my heart is open to everyone. every one has a place in this world, and it good to have good friends around you. Paula I think we all have had at times rough moments, but that grows into maturity. My Daughter and Grandson, have been my blessing, and kept me going. Thank you all once again, Being in this Forum with so many great Quillers is a great pleasure
toye (Toye is the middle name from my Daughter)

Sylvester
toye

http://www.paperart-sheila.ch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jocelyneliza on 2011-09-06, 02:45

Congratulations Toye on being member of the month and thank you for sharing your life's journey with us. It is wonderful that you found quilling and, like you, I learned quilling from a book so I know how wonderful it is to finally make contact with other quillers and exchange ideas and tips. Enjoy!

Jocelyneliza

http://jocelyneliza.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quill Me on 2011-09-06, 11:43

Toye, you certainly sound young in heart and mind and it is good to hear your story

Quill Me

http://quillme.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippa on 2011-09-09, 14:22

I was so pleased to read your 'member of the month' story, Toye! Sorry that I have not responded before, but I have been away on holiday. Your new quilled watch looks fantastic too - congratulations!
Philippa
Philippa

http://quilliance.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by toye on 2011-09-09, 14:32

Thank you Philippa,Bronwyn,Jocelyn for all your kind words.For me it is a great pleasure being her in the Forum and having all you talented Quiller which I have learnt so much from
toye bounce line

toye

http://www.paperart-sheila.ch

Back to top Go down

Post by iris66 on 2011-09-09, 15:02

Congratulations.Great story.My best wishes and I think it is a privillege for all to have you here. u da best

iris66

http://creativequilling.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by miriam on 2011-09-15, 08:31

Nice to know you better Toye, congratulations your life is so interesting too. I love switzerland we had visited switzerland on my 25th wedding anniversary, 3yrs ago and we stayed in lucerne, it's beautiful lots of waterfalls and mountains been up the titlis too beautiful i 've seen lots of snow for the very first time, beautiful very beautiful country and i 'd love to visit again some day.
miriam Smile
miriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top